SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Terry Kath of the Band Chicago
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terry Kath of the Band Chicago Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
It's been years since I listened to the band Chicago. But, recently I pulled out their stuff and listened again. Some of it is gag inducing (e.g., "Colour My World", "If You Leave Me Now"), but a lot of it has aged quite well.

IMO, Terry Kath was the driving force behind the band and it was not the same after his untimely death. I came across this video and think it shows what energy he brought to the band.

https://youtu.be/7uAUoz7jimg

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Remember attending to the “if you leave me now tour” in Europe and it wasn’t the Chicago i expected. Cetera, not my cup of tea.

Did own the 4 LP edition of live at Carnegie Hall in those days.
Noticed a 15 disc edition of that venue has been released recently. Will try to listen to it in my (spare) spare time Wink.
Not too close but not to far either, i was a fan of the early Earth, Wind and Fire.
Much better show if you ask me… Cool

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sixties/seventies was "my era", and I was very much into the music. Had my favorites; most of the usual suspects. But I was not a big fan of Chicago, and so Terry Kath flew under my radar. I came to appreciate both the band and Terry Kath way after the fact. He was a monster. And, yes, a driving force for the band.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
He was an insanely good guitar player with a great blues voice. The original talent of Chicago was off the charts. There songs have aged well for me. My absolute favorite album is ‘Night and Day’.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen Chicago in concert. I always associated them with soft pop AM radio songs. But after watching Terry Kath in that video, I’m amazed at his guitar playing. Simply great. I don’t even understand how someone could play like that. Like it was said, if he would have lived Chicago would have been different. Or he would have started his own band.
I hear that the whole Chicago at Tanglewood is on YT. concert is on YT.
Check out the vid for I’m a Man.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I saw Chicago with the original members at the Yale Bowl in 1971 or 1972. Great show.
Yes, Kath was the heart of Chicago. They were not as good without him and got worse as time went on.

I tried watching a concert of theirs a few years ago on HBO and it was amazing how bad they were.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

Yes, Kath was the heart of Chicago. They were not as good without him and got worse as time went on.

He was amazing.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
I’ve never seen Chicago in concert. I always associated them with soft pop AM radio songs.

This one was written (and lead vocal) by keyboard player Robert Lamm. Not soft pop.

Nice guitar work from Terry Kath? Absolutely, but it’s the horn section that just slays this one.

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Like I said in the Chicago thread Kath IMO is a spectacularly talented musician and is one of the greatest ever.

There is was a great documentary on his life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7egJTtz10E&t=1951s

I saw it on either Prime or Netflix but YouTube has it too.

Sad and lesson on be careful with guns. Frown

PS : INCREDIBLE on 25 or 6 to 4 Cool

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Terry Kath is one of my all time favorite guitar players. Very underrated by mainstream music media.

Ironically in one of the saddest endings in cinematic history, Electra Glide in Blue. Terry Kath was not only the shooter in the van but also did the ending song "Tell Me"

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
If you haven’t seen it there’s a documentary that his daughter did on him funded for her by crowd source. Titled ‘The Terry Kath Experience’. Pretty informative. I see smshultz has the link a couple posts up. His wife ended up marrying Keifer Sutherland and then dated Jeff Lynne from ELO. All of his publishing rights were swindled by either Chicago’s manager or publisher, leaving her nothing.
While watching YT clips last nite I was shocked in the difference in physical appearance in just about 10 years. He was in a downward spiral by the time he died. Check out the Chicago YT clips of their Tanglewood show.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Hendrix claimed that Kath was a better guitarist than he was.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Hendrix claimed that Kath was a better guitarist than he was.

Terry Kath is likely the most underappreciated guitarist in rock history. He could share a stage with Hendrix, Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy all of their songs, both prior, with and after Cetera. Very talented group and I really like the brass/woodwinds in their songs. I wish I had the opportunity to see them in concert.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I wish I had the opportunity to see them in concert.

Check out the band Leonid and Friends. They perform some amazing covers of the early Chicago horn songs. Back-up vocalist Ksenia isn't too hard on the eyes either.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
If you haven’t seen it there’s a documentary that his daughter did on him funded for her by crowd source. Titled ‘The Terry Kath Experience’. Pretty informative. I see smshultz has the link a couple posts up. His wife ended up marrying Keifer Sutherland and then dated Jeff Lynne from ELO. All of his publishing rights were swindled by either Chicago’s manager or publisher, leaving her nothing.
While watching YT clips last nite I was shocked in the difference in physical appearance in just about 10 years. He was in a downward spiral by the time he died. Check out the Chicago YT clips of their Tanglewood show.

I really enjoyed that documentary. Lots of interviews with band members and interesting stories.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post