SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A very "B" film: Money Madness - Ward Cleaver, psycho bank robber
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A very "B" film: Money Madness - Ward Cleaver, psycho bank robber Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
A poverty row production, 1948, from the short-lived Film Classics, Inc. company. Directed by one of the most- if not the most- prolific B movie directors, Sam Newfield.

In terms of American pop culture, the film is most notable for starring Hugh Beaumont, known to millions as the wholesome Ward Cleaver in the mid-century TV show Leave it to Beaver. Beaumont plays absolutely against type in Money Madness, portraying a bank robber and murderer.

The film was shot around Los Angeles at the height of the film noir movement and is inarguably an example of the style, and one which I am certain very few, if any of you, have ever seen.

Films like this, I don't mind being poor dubs of 16mm prints. It reminds me of watching films like this as a kid- late night in my room, on a nine inch black & white set, catching a signal over the air, with fuzzy reception, multipath and local interference.

There are plot holes and improbable circumstances, but all is forgiven. This is the kind of film that might have been lost and only listed in film catalogs. We're lucky to have it, and it's great seeing Ward play the psycho sleaze.

This film would have played as the lower half of a double bill, premiering in April, 1948. Not for everyone, but the film noir buffs should invest the time, a quick 72 minutes.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link. My wife and I love these old obscure films from the 40s and 50s. Just recently, we watched Hugh Beaumont in a film called Phone Call From A Stranger that aired on the Movies! channel. It plays again this Sunday, very enjoyable movie.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
According to IMDb, both of these films are available on Plex.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040604/
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045029/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
It's also on Amazon Prime Video.

Posts: 1457 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Beaumont played a lot of bit parts, mainly authority figures- policemen, soldiers, doctors.

I see Beaumont most often these days in a favorite film of mine- The Seventh Victim- a Val Lewton production, directed by Mark Robson. In it, Beaumont portrays the film's voice of reason.

In the TV series, Tales of Wells Fargo, Beaumont portrayed Jesse James. This was at a time (the late 1950s) when television had in many instances sanitized iconic badmen of the late 19th century. At that time, Westerns were on network television literally every evening, and the love the American public had for these icons caused a cleansing of these characters, and sometimes, something just short of sainthood. In the epsisode of TOWF in question, Beaumont played a Jesse James who was accused of a crime he didn't even commit; his gang was responsible, but not James.

So, that doesn't count, does it?

I can think of only one other instance where Beaumont was cast against type.

I suppose it's forgivable that I post a spoiler, since it's necessary to do so in order to discuss the dark side of the Beav's wholesome father.

Bury Me Dead, another poverty row film noir (this time, from 1947) has Beaumont as the murderer revealed at the end of the film.

The film begins with June Lockhart attending her own funeral (after a fashion) and with a voiceover narration from her, wondering who her killer is (actually, another woman was killed and the identities confused).

The film then unravels the mystery of which of the characters who stood at her funeral is the killer.

That's a very film noir thing, a nightmarish hook used in more than a few noir films.

More bizarro Ward:

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rackrack:
It's also on Amazon Prime Video.

I know but I strive to post non-pay streaming sites.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Beaumont did a fine job in Money Madness, menacing without being over the top, and hints of weakness and vulnerability. Worth the price of admission for this Leave it to Beaver fan. Smile

The female Julie (June? Wink ) seemed to exist to be led around by the nose by everyone in her life. The payoff for her? Institutionalized being led around by the nose.

Period dialog added to the atmosphere "No eggs, they make me bilious".

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Another poverty row production, with Beaumont as a private detective, with all the trappings- trench coat, fedora, snappy comments and voice-over narration. It's just, uhh, not good. However, with Beaumont as the lead in a crime drama, the pop culture value is way up there.

Railroaded 1947

Though a PRC production and therefore still a poverty row film, this one is a big step up from all the rest in this thread. Directed by the great Anthony Mann (Desperate, T-Men, Raw Deal, He Walked by Night, Winchester 73 and many more).

I saw this one in the 1980s on the old USA Network show Night Flight (remember that?) Beaumont plays a police detective. With John Ireland

I'm still looking for a Dixon .38

posted Hide Post
What a great thread! Film noir Saturday night comin up.

Posts: 649 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He did have some interesting roles. It's funny how we typecast, at least I do sometimes, actors and their roles we mostly now them by, being "Leave it to Beaver" and I can't picture them anyway else.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post