Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well this is interesting. A bit of brutal honesty from Suzuki’s boss. I think one of the things leading to Rins horrific season was his attempt to push an inferior bike past its limit to make up for its deficits and remain competitive. Mir did a better job managing the limits of the GSX-RR but it was pretty damn obvious that the competitors improved for 2021 and Suzuki did not.

Shinichi Sahara admits guilt at Suzuki: ‘We lost the championship not because of Joan Mir, but because of something we didn’t have’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suzuki really struggled this year without a solid manager like Davide Brivio. Shinichi Sahara should have been in Japan over seeing development with the Suzuki Engineers instead of trying to both manage and oversee development. Suzuki really needs a manager like Brivio back on the team.

Super cool breakdown of the Suzuki GSX-RR made by a Japanese fan.....

https://mobile.twitter.com/sum.../1468195905170214919

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to quantify the cascading effect Davide Brivio leaving Suzuki had on the team. Overall I would say it was significant. I’d say it was probably a rather large contributor to the abysmal season not because of the initial shock and changes that had to be made but the hole it left that was never patched.

When I go back and look at every interview and behind the scenes footage that was filmed over the various recent seasons one thing I noticed about Davide was a cool, calm, supremely confident and sometimes humorous persona when you expect him to have a stressed or anxious.

This is especially evident at the moment prior to winning the championship in 2020 when Mir had a bad qualifying. He cracked a great joke and then said something like he will be fine. His support and confidence he provided Mir and Rins was something I think is going to be damnn hard to replace, though not impossible. It took focus away from development which hurt by over-stretching management.

The engine freeze gave Suzuki confidence they didn’t need to mess with their bike too much. That was a huge error.

Losing a leader like that made Suzuki have to scramble at every level. Rins thought it was a joke when they told him. One thing Suzuki’s GP team is bad at right now is having to adjust to drastic unforeseen changes.

Mir has said if Suzuki can give him a competitive bike he will stay. If Suzuki wants to keep Mir and have their best shot at another title they better figure out a way to get more straight line speed from that GSX-RR without hurting its corner speed. They also have some work to do to get the Gixx back to being fast at the end of races.

I hope the 2022 GSX-RR performs more like the 2020 Suzuki did against its rivals. Having another 2021 like season could cost Suzuki quite a bit.

Mark71, that is a great illustration by a fan who truly loves Suzuki. Very cool! Cool

It would have been cool if Amazon had made a documentary on the 2020 Cinderella story of Suzuki but if it brings in new fans and helps the beautiful sport then that’s awesome. There was still a lot of amazing stuff that I enjoyed the hell out of during the 2021 season.

I got to see the marvelous introduction of what I believe will be at least two rising super stars in MotoGP. I got to see a young rider on an old bike do things that shouldn’t be possible.

It’s so easy to find things to love in this sport.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Laguna Seca - Rework for GP & WSBK

quote:

Next season, the MotoGP calendar will be the biggest ever with a total of 21 rounds in just one year. Dorna’s willingness to reach a greater number of countries and candidates to receive other races has been noted, is something that has not been lacking. Although most drivers are of the opinion that 20 races per year is the limit, there is an intention to go up to 25 races per season.

It turns out that one of these cases could be Laguna Seca. The american track, which has been the scene of great and historic battles, and which will forever remain in the memory of millions of fans, could once again host international competitions after having lost MotoGP and WSBK – in different years – for safety reasons.

According to Motosan, the circuit management has created a ‘Program’ which consists of a five-year project where the focus will be on intervening in different areas of the circuit. The ultimate goal is to increase security levels. In this sense, this program advocates a new asphalt to the irregular layout. This action proves to be necessary, bearing in mind that the last time this happened was in 2007. The bridge over the finish line and the ‘Paddock Pavilion’ area – at turn three – will also be the focus of attention while the conditions are created for the circulation of small electric vehicles.

Although championships such as MotoAmérica and IndyCar are loyal to Laguna Seca, this program intends to attract more renowned competitions again. Work is expected to start in November next year and be completed by April 2023, which could at best result in world motorcycling returning to Laguna Seca within a year and a half.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
What do you guys make of this? Moto GP has announced that all its classes will run on 100% fossil-free fuels by 2027, with a shift to at least 40% fossil-free by 2024.

Are we about to see the end of another amazing era? Will there be more or less of a transition I am wondering than the sport experienced when the two strokes were banned?

What is your crystal ball predicting? I wonder if we’re about to witness the best final years yet again as these beautiful machines are forced to change into a new era once again? Personally it looks like the transition is being planned to be somewhat gradual. Which is maybe a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
100% ethanol drag bikes.
Let's see that!

Confused

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see Ducati’s take on the electric racing motorcycle.

They have a hell of a task if their goal is to create an electric series that is actually fun to watch. The current moto-e is damn hard to care about.

I understand Ducati and MotoGP are doing what they have to in able to secure the future of motorcycle racing and to future proof Ducati as a company.

I suppose if anyone has a good chance of improving and making e-bikes exciting it would be Ducati.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes!! Shots fired! Eek Big Grin

What do you guys make of this? These are some harsh words to direct towards Suzuki considering the source.

I don’t think Kevin is completely wrong. I do think there are those at Suzuki who believe in themselves and believe in the company but I also think if something doesn’t change they will risk losing Mir (which is a real possibility anyway). I understand Kevin’s anger and disappointment.

Kevin Schwantz criticizes Suzuki: ‘They always ran their company without believing in themselves’

Suzuki won the riders’ title with Joan Mir in 2020 and this season it hasn’t been possible to renew the title won. In a year where Mir was third overall and Alex Rins finished 13th, Suzuki was also slow to implement the rear height adjustment device.

In an interview with GP Racing magazine, Kevin Schwantz told that Suzuki’s resources aren’t as large as those of other factories and that this ends up being shown in the track. The American also criticizes who is at the top and defends that if there was a change, the GSX-RR would be seen with different eyes inside the paddock.

The level in MotoGP is very high. Once one factory takes the lead, as was the case last year with Suzuki, the others redouble their efforts to catch up. Suzuki’s resources are more limited than other factories. This year, we looked at what it cost the japanese to supply the rear height adjuster. When you have fewer people in the racing department, it takes more time to react and find solutions to improve. This is essential. At Suzuki they have always managed their company without believing in themselves. I think if there were other people responsible for this company, when it comes to the racing side, it would be seen in a more ambitious way ’, Schwantz told, he who was champion with the japanese manufacturer in 1993, in the old 500cc.

Link to article

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://the-race.com/motogp/mo...roken-wrist-setback/

quote:
​​​​​​​
MotoGP rookie Remy Gardner has required surgery after he cracked his wrist in a training incident weeks before pre-season is due to begin.

The Tech3 KTM rider broke his right wrist while riding motocross on Saturday, suffering a ‘small crack’ according to his French team.

On Tuesday he was operated on by Doctor Xavier Mir, MotoGP’s surgeon of choice, who installed two screws to stabilise the break.

The news means Gardner is now very much in a race against time to be ready for the start of the MotoGP season.

Starting on February 5 proper with the first full test of the year at Malaysia’s Sepang International Circuit, the Australian doesn’t even have until then to return to fitness, however.

Instead, as a rookie rider he’ll be one of the four racers on the 2022 grid who’ll be allowed to join the three-day shakedown test at Sepang ahead of the two-day official outing, with MotoGP’s factory test riders joining the debutants on track.

Beyond Sepang, there isn’t much time for the Australian to heal up, either, with the paddock heading directly from Malaysia to Indonesia for the first visit to the new Mandalika Bay race, where three days of testing will commence on February 11.

Qatar hosts the first race of the season on March 6.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Every year, or every winter, Motocross accident/injury/surgery by someone.

I hear Marquez is back to MotoX and just rode the RC213V-S street bike (unobtanium) 65 laps.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post