SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Marlowe (2022) Starring Neeson A Waste Of Time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlowe (2022) Starring Neeson A Waste Of Time Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6722802/

Somedays you just need some down time. Hey, look, film noir era, detective, should be enjoyable.

Nope. Acting was monotone script recitation. No development of the reason for Marlowe to be dedicated to solving this case.

The climax was surprising, in that you didn't see it coming, but the emotional response was more of "really?" than of anger or disappointment in the character's actions.

The buddy characters are a replication of the many buddy movies we've seen, in that at first, they are at odds, then they are fast friends.

A bad guy must have patterned his character after a combination of Auric Goldfinger and Le Chiffre.

Yes, watching this did eliminate my thinking about work for two hours. No, it did not meet my expectations.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5141 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
It appears that like Unknown, the only reason to watch this is Diane Kruger. Big Grin <3

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3504 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
In contrast, I found the Clive Owen series "Monsieur Spade" to be excellent. Owen really plays Spade-via-Bogey really well and the story and setting were wonderful. It's on AppleTV.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10518 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Have Camera - Will Travel
Wire Gonzo, Far Bombay
posted Hide Post
So disappointing. So bad.

Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to prevent bad people from doing bad things to good people.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.-Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 3100 | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I tend to like Liam Neeson as an actor (tend to does not equal always) but "A Waste of Time" seriously understates how bad this movie is.

Too many physical action scenes which, at his age, he could not perform with any level of on-screen believable acting.

And,

Phillip Marlow is somewhere in his mid 30s to early 40s (which Neeson is not), a hard drinking ladies man who is not swayed by the female persuasion (IMO, the Marlow character in the referenced here does not convey well.... except for the not being swayed by females cause those characters were not old enough to flirt with him when based on social norms today).

From Wiki (pretty accurate if you listen to Old Time Radio shows):

quote:

As is typical of pulp fiction private eyes from Sherlock Holmes onward, [Phillip] Marlowe is a bachelor throughout most of the novels. That he has sex with female characters is explicit or implied in each of the novels, but he is also shown resisting various sexual invitations and refusing to take advantage of other sexual opportunities on moral grounds. In The Long Goodbye the divorced daughter of the press tycoon Harlan Potter, Linda Loring (with whom he has spent one night of passion), asks Marlowe to go with her to Paris, but he declines. Then, at the end of the next novel, Playback (set some 18 months later), Loring phones him from Paris and asks him again to join her ("I'm asking you to marry me"). Marlowe challenges her to come to him in L.A. instead, implicitly testing her sincerity. In the opening paragraphs of Poodle Springs he has just married her.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14065 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I'll parrot my comment from a related thread in The Lounge:

While Neeson's display of a "particular set of skills" in Taken was perhaps entertaining, his portrayal of a hard boiled, 1930's gumshoe in [/i]Marlowe[/i] left much to be desired.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...810011805#5810011805

Posts: 3512 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it. The best part was the vintage cars. And a Thompson.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16192 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liam Neeson is an anti-gun twit.

Dance monkey, dance!

Posts: 539 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too many physical action scenes which, at his age, he could not perform with any level of on-screen believable acting.

That fight at the massage parlor was brutal, in a bad way.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17022 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post