SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The film Master and Commander
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The film Master and Commander Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

This is, in my opinion, one of the best films ever made. Unfortunately, it came out at the same time as The Lord of the Rings trilogy and was eclipsed.

It is based on the 20 or so novels of Patrick O'Brien which (also IMHO) are the greatest historical fiction ever written. I've read them all and and have nearly completed rereading them in order. The movie and especially the books are highly recommended.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good movie. I have it DVR’d.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a sequel, but so far, no joy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's fantastic. Big fan.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I saw it in the theater when it came out and really enjoyed, but haven’t seen it since. High time.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s one of my all time favorite films. I wish it had been better received. I would have loved to see them make a sequel or two. I have not yet read any of the books Master and Commander is based off of. I need to fix that!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I liked it, but didn’t love it. I think if they had chopped out the entire “Jonah” subplot, the movie would have flowed much better and possibly have gotten us a sequel. The movie did fail to make it’s budget back in the US market.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good movie. I just finished my third reading ("circumnavigation") of the 20-book series (every 6-8 years). To me, it is high literature.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Patrick O’Brian series that inspired the movie are literary genius. I enjoyed them so much in fact, I purchased the antiquarian versions from one of the book club. Gold leaf & all… one of fav verses : “Other people's marriages are a perpetual source of amazement.”
― Patrick O'Brian, The Commodore

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We have it in the library on DVD. Very good movie.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I caught this on Amazon Prime, it's a good flick.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Those are wonderful books and I've read them twice. I attended a reading by O'Brian before he passed, many years ago. The movie is great too.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Awesome movie phenomenal surround sound as well.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exceptional movie from story, to camera, to sound, to music...an underrated masterpiece.

2003 was a very good year for movie entertainment:
Master & Commander
LOTR: Return of the King
Matrix Reloaded
Finding Nemo
Bruce Almighty

All films that made an impact on the art of entertainment.

Another review praising its creation

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Outstanding movie, one of my favorites. Just watched it again a couple of weeks ago.

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I saw it in the theater when it came out and really enjoyed, but haven’t seen it since. High time.

It's on Amazon Prime. Just watched it last week, in fact.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Many use parts of the soundtrack (cannon fire, etc.) to evaluate their speaker systems.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Haven't watched either, recommend watching in order?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Many use parts of the soundtrack (cannon fire, etc.) to evaluate their speaker systems.

HEY!!!! I resemble that remark!!! Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent Movie. Had the best in movie Pun Ever! :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post