SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The film Master and Commander
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The film Master and Commander Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Excellent Movie. Had the best in movie Pun Ever! :-)

'Everyone knows that when faced with a difficult choice, one must choose...'

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Haven't watched either, recommend watching in order?
There's only one movie. The books (20 plus a part of a 21st) are stand-alone novels and can be read in any order, but they do follow each other sequentially. Given the choice, I'd read them in order but it doesn't really matter that much.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I loved the movie. It should be required viewing for anybody who ever has to lead people:

A man pushed past you, yet you said nothing. Why?

I intended to, sir, but the right words didn't...

The right words? He was deliberately insubordinate.

I've tried to get to know the men, sir, and be friendly, but they've taken a set against me. Always whispering when I go past and giving me looks. I'll set that to rights. I'll be much tougher on them.

You don't make friends with the foremast jacks, lad. They'll despise you in the end, think you weak.
Nor do you need to be a tyrant.

I read the book the movie was based on, and I didn't like it at all. I found it humorous that in the book the enemy frigate was American. Guess it was better to have them be Frenchmen, especially considering the anti-French mood in the country at the time the movie came out (when the Frogs refused to help us invade Iraq). Naturally, US movie-goers would have a hard time rooting for the Brits when they were set against an American ship.

I did read the entire Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent (I binge-read all 28 books from Jan-May this year), and enjoyed them up to a point. They got too soap-opera-y towards the end. I have not read any of the Ramage novels or the Hornblower series.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
available on Amazon Prime.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I keep meaning to watch this again. I have to admit I fell asleep to it. I don’t say that because it is a bad movie. I think the classical soundtrack is just very relaxing to me.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Making the frigate French had nothing to do with anti French anything. You can’t make this movie as the Surprise takes on the Constitution and expect us to root for the Brit’s. I suppose you could make the ship Spanish but historically that wouldn’t make much sense. Great movie.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Fantastic movie.

Love Peter Weir's directing.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Haven't watched either, recommend watching in order?
There's only one movie. The books (20 plus a part of a 21st) are stand-alone novels and can be read in any order, but they do follow each other sequentially. Given the choice, I'd read them in order but it doesn't really matter that much.

I read the 4th book first in grad school and thought it was so good I went back to the first and read the entire series.
Great nautical fiction.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Its my second favorite movie. Right behind last of the Mohicans.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My son actually auditioned for this.

He was around 8 years old and speaks French so, the (now ex) wife and I thought, "what the heck, let's try"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
New ‘Master and Commander’ Film in the Works, But Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany Probably Won’t Be Back

Posted on Friday, June 4th, 2021 by Ben Pearson

Almost 20 years after Peter Weir’s seafaring adventure film Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World sailed into theaters, 20th Century Studios is developing a new Master and Commander movie. This is something fans have spent years clamoring for – but it sounds like somebody didn’t focus enough on specifics when they asked their genie to grant them this wish. It sounds like this new iteration will not be a sequel that brings back stars Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany, but will instead be a prequel that focuses on younger versions of their characters.

Deadline broke the news that a new Master and Commander film is in the works, this time with Chaos Walking and A Monster Calls writer Patrick Ness writing the script. No director or actors are attached yet, but it seems unlikely that Crowe and Bettany will return, despite the original film delivering a perfect ending that provided endless opportunities for the duo to return for a sequel.

Instead, 20th Century Studios is reportedly going back to the early days of their characters, when Captain Jack Aubrey is given his first command and he first becomes friends with naval surgeon Stephen Maturin. This is based on the first book in author Patrick O’Brien’s series of novels, and will almost certainly bring in new actors to play Aubrey and Maturin.

I don’t know about you, but I just about gave myself whiplash going from the high of seeing that a new movie was in the works to the utter deflation that came over me when I realized this would be a prequel. I’m not ready to write the whole thing off yet – this idea could be justified under a great director and excellent casting – but after going to bat for the 2003 movie in a Quarantine Stream column last year and writing about how that film should have kicked off one of Hollywood’s great franchises, there’s something extremely bittersweet about the idea of that potentially happening, but without Weir, Crowe (who delivered a career-best performance in the first movie), or Bettany being involved in it at all.

[...]

https://www.slashfilm.com/new-...-and-commander-film/

My feelings almost exactly. With two decades since the original, there were slim chances for Crowe and Bettany to reprise their roles anyway - even though you could have set it near the end of the Napoleonic Wars. The books certainly provide ample material, and there is frequent mention how Aubrey balloons in weight over his career, so it's not like Crowe wouldn't have fit these days. So I'm left with hoping the new installation does justice to the standard set; and after all there's ample material for the years before 1805, too.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
While Patrick O'Brien even asks the reader for permission to play around with the timeline of the books and the actual history of the Napoleonic wars, it would be difficult to erase 20 years from Bettany and Crowe's faces.

If Scorcese's "The Irishman" is any indication, make-up and CGI can only hide so much. And for such a physical role, you can't expect them to reprise those roles.

There were earlier attempts by Crowe to try and get a new film made over a decade ago, but he's on the wrong side of 50.

Plus, in spite of their performances, Crowe and Bettany aren't anything like the characters in the books. Bettany is too tall and Crowe is too short, but the real tragedy is we see nothing of their real personalities.

c'est la vie

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Fans of the movie might enjoy these ~25min of deleted scenes. I did.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I took up the cello because of this film.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a second movie based around Aubry and Matterin will be given the 'Jack Ryan treatment'. One can only hope they stay faithful to how the original was put together and the landmark achievement with how it was written, filmed and produced.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post