SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Angelina Jolie and Director, Screenwriter Taylor Sheridan; What Could Go Wrong?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Angelina Jolie and Director, Screenwriter Taylor Sheridan; What Could Go Wrong? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Everything.

My wife and I went to a movie theater today for the first time in a year-and-a-half or more. We saw the new Angelina Jolie movie “Those Who Wish Me Dead.” She plays a smoke jumper or a shot crew leader (it got a little confusing) who was traumatized the previous fire season and was spending this new fire season in a fire lookout tower.

Taylor Sheridan is the director and he also shares a screenwriter credit. He’s been on a roll with screenwriting credits for both the “Sicario” movies, “Hell or High Water,” and both screenwriter and director for “Wind River.” Pretty impressive stuff.

I thought this one was bad. It involves assassins, and a raging wildfire on what was apparently the first day of fire season. I won’t give anything away because a movie centered around Angelina Jolie, the Forest Service, and wildland fire is almost impossible to resist (at least for those of us who are/were FS). Still, there was at least one scene that caused me to literally laugh out loud—it wasn’t meant to be funny.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So, it’s a thumbs down don’t watch?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i can't get past she weighs like 105 lbs

not a frame conducive to the hard physical requirements of that job

so many more women could be 'believable'...

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I really like a lot of what Taylor Sheridan has done but shes on my "Do not watch list"

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
i can't get past she weighs like 105 lbs

not a frame conducive to the hard physical requirements of that job

so many more women could be 'believable'...

-------------------------------------

Oddly enough, there’s a scene about her weight/frame. Believe me, that’s not a factor in the credibility of this movie.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
We saw it last night on HBOMax. I guess they're doing some early release. I can't recommend it. I thought it was terrible. Unrealistic story, and I couldn't stand any of the characters. My wife thought it was a watchable action film though, so I guess some people may like it. I definitely wouldn't pay money to see it though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to it, though after Sheridan's involvement in "Without Remorse" I'm wary.

As for Jolie's build, the wildland firefighters I know are all wiry, rangy lean types.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sounds like Cliffhanger but with fire instead of snow.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
I'm looking forward to it, though after Sheridan's involvement in "Without Remorse" I'm wary.

Keep in mind, he's one of a handful of screenwriters for Without Remorse, the director and producer will also affect the final product. Then there's the time honored task of putting-out some something, anything, to keep your resume flowing, making sure you're in the eye of the studio bosses and making sure you have a steady cashflow. All of which will help securing funding and the creative freedom to make the projects you really want to make in the future.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Keep in mind, he's one of a handful of screenwriters for Without Remorse, the director and producer will also affect the final product. Then there's the time honored task of putting-out some something, anything, to keep your resume flowing, making sure you're in the eye of the studio bosses and making sure you have a steady cashflow. All of which will help securing funding and the creative freedom to make the projects you really want to make in the future.

Sheridan is both producer and director on this one, as well as one of the screenwriters. Like I said in my OP, he’s been part of some good stuff. Without Remorse and this one makes him, 0-2 in his last two at bats.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I get how a writer and director are key in bringing a story to life. What does a producer do?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

I saw the trailer and knew it was gonna be garbage, Was expecting her to franchise the "Salt" movie as she survive on the money and i would love to see what happens from there. Sadly she didn't go that route. I won't see the movie as i know is gonna be a waste of my time and money.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it this afternoon, wasn't bad, wasn't great. The special effects were decent.

Would have been better with airtankers. Aircraft make everything better.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ll watch in my HT at some point over the next week. New releases are still slow but I can put up with this home much more so than going to a commercial cinema. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll just lower the expectations and won’t have the disappointment.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Worth the watch on HBOMax but definitely not a theater trip. I will say this, the punisher’s six month pregnant wife was a cool under pressure.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saw it this afternoon, wasn't bad, wasn't great. The special effects were decent.

Would have been better with airtankers. Aircraft make everything better.

I still get asked with some regularity if flying tankers is like the movie Always.

No, and I've yet to see a hangar dance in the middle of fire season, white dress, or no.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Holly Hunter or Angelina Jolie though.

I was portrayed in the last fire movie, about Yarnell, and have yet to see it. Don't intend to. There's plenty of action at the fire ground, without any need for Hollywood to add more. Not even if it had featured Ms. Jolie.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Bored. Wasn’t up to a thinker like tenet. Watched this. It’s meh at best. It’s like eating generic clam chowder. You could eat it in a pinch when you got nothing else but it sure ain’t Tony’s.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I get how a writer and director are key in bringing a story to life. What does a producer do?

The producer oversees the entire production, not only are the representatives from the company/studio, but they coordinate all the pre- and post- production (sound, music, lighting, editing, marketing, etc) but, they also oversee the marketing and financials. They work together with the Executive Producers who are the financial backers of the project, that's why you usually see established movie stars bank-rolling various films.

In the case of Sheridan, he might have a contract stipulating he supposed to pump-out x-number of films. He knocks-out whatever the studio wants, then he gets the green light to do whatever he wants to make.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad we didn’t pay money to see this movie in the theater, as it was just barely OK on HBO Max.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
I’m glad we didn’t pay money to see this movie in the theater, as it was just barely OK on HBO Max.

Same. First act was good. Then it went tits up. The last act was terrible. Then a terrible ending. We never even find out what all this was about.

And it's reflective of the pandemic. I've seen a number of new films where it's a limited number of actors and plots due to the pandemic and filming rules.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post