SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Boldly going for 60 years, now.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Boldly going for 60 years, now. Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted
Sept. 8, 2026 (60 years after the premiere of the original Star Trek series, on Sept. 8, 1966)
quote:
Sixty years ago, with the premiere of the original Star Trek TV series, we first dared to go where no one had gone before. Since then, generations of fans have followed countless adventures across the Star Trek universe, making the franchise’s 60th anniversary a milestone worth celebrating.

 
Posts: 15788 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
William Shatner is 95 years old.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23113 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
My avatar tag says it all.

0-0


"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
 
Posts: 12531 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
H&I (Heroes and Icons) TV ran all the episodes, in original airing order, for the whole holiday weekend, and is currently running them from 8 PM-6 AM this week. When it was good it was really, really good. Even some of the more mediocre episodes have their charm. Mr. Spock (he has a second name, but Earthers can't pronounce it) is one of the best TV characters ever.

You may find this site interesting: TV Tropes: Star Trek the Original Series Personally, echoing Mr. Spock, I find it fascinating. Big Grin One note: it is full of ads. They can be greatly reduced if you sign up (free) or eliminated with a paid subscription (about $5 a month). I use the free signup, which also lets you edit pages.
 
Posts: 32058 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
William Shatner is 95 years old.


I'll always say I hope to not only match his longevity but to age like Shatner.
 
Posts: 3286 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I saw a little bit of him on an interview celebrating the 60th on Toon In With Me, a show on MeTV that shows old Warner Bros cartoons in the morning and he looked and sounded like a guy in his early 70s. Remarkable.



"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 19697 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember seeing the first episode back in the sixties. I was hooked for life.



"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." Clarence Worley
 
Posts: 9858 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I also remember viewing the very first episode (The Man Trap). I was eight years old. I recall saying to myself, this is going to be big.



ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"Pen & Sword as one."
 
Posts: 18070 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
My father was a big science fiction fan. I remember how we sat down in the TV room ( as we called it) to watch this show. I became a big fan of Mr. Spock. I was 6 years old.


___________________

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.
 
Posts: 1809 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
A very good friend of mine in Elementary School, Joe Spitler was a huge fan of the show.

Damn, that was a long time ago.

Thanks for the memories.


Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
 
Posts: 37185 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not sure how many will be interested, but one of my favorite YouTube channels JTVFX just uploaded his take on a prequel to Star Trek: The Motion Picture about V'Ger hitting Klingon space and leading to the beginning of the movie.

YouTube has this tagged as AI, but the only AI is he uses ElevenLabs for dialogue lines that he doesn't have since he doesn't the budget to hire voice actors. Everything else is rendered using 3D models and software the pros use.

Enjoy.

 
Posts: 5458 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I started watching reruns in the early 70’s, when I was around 6 years old. I didn’t understand most of what was going on but I loved it anyway.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
 
Posts: 3952 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
60 years and a show STILL has a major following. There can't be very many like this (people remember Leave it to Beaver and Brady Bunch but I doubt there are any fans that are SO invested in the show like we have for Trek. . .

I've been watching Trek for over 50 years. It has been a major part of my life. I don't dress up and go to Conventions, but I really do love this show more than anybody I personally know.



Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher
 
Posts: 22137 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a series on how we came in contact with the Klingons and then the escalation to war.



Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin
 
Posts: 4230 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
There’s a documentary series called the Center Seat that has a lot of interesting history. The first season (11 episodes) covers the various TV series and the original cast movies. The new season just released (5 episodes) covers the TNG cast movies and the Kelvin timeline movies. The series was 5 years ago, so it doesn’t cover SNW. I watched the first two episodes of the new season, dealing with Generations and First Contact, and hope to get to the other three this weekend.

The first season was on Paramount +, and I’m watching the new episodes on YouTube.
 
Posts: 4004 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
In several episodes of Boston Legal, Shatners character (Denny Crane) made references to Star Trek. “I used to be captain of a starship you know”. Another was something about Klingons.

Comical
 
Posts: 1036 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I was seven in 1966 and saw the listing in TV Guide. I asked my parents and they had no clue. From the first episode I saw I was hooked. My wife and I went to an early Trek convention in 1978 or 1979. It was in Columbus Ohio and Gene Roddenberry and his wife were there. I took my son to a couple later conventions and he became a big fan and still is.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret
 
Posts: 1514 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Boldly going for 60 years, now.

© SIGforum 2026