SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    DAS Boot on Hulu. Series not the phenomenal movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAS Boot on Hulu. Series not the phenomenal movie Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I did a search and didn’t see this pop up. If I am jib jabbing just close / ignore.

At any rate there is a show on Hulu called DAS BOOT that I am enjoying very much. I am just getting into episode 4. It’s not the Movie but is still quite good.

If you are not a fan of subtitles skip this as it is mostly in German, with some French and just a bit of English. Seems to have a mix of German and American actors with Lizzy Caplan playing a fairly prominent role.

All in all I am enjoying very much.

Just thought I would mention.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The movie was really good. I'll have to check out the series.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked it well enough. I thought there would be more with the Captain. I'd watch something similar in the future.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lizzy Caplan

May give it a try sometime... even though a few years back I was visiting some friends and their cousin from Germany was there and we discussed the movie DAS BOOT and he suggested I read the book, that it was better than the movie and of course he was right.
Now with that said, I'm trying to wrap my head around any woman in this for more than at the very beginning when they are at the whore house the night before heading out to see.... I don't remember any more unless you take in the fantasies the sailers had at sea.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Now with that said, I'm trying to wrap my head around any woman in this for more than at the very beginning when they are at the whore house the night before heading out to see.... I don't remember any more unless you take in the fantasies the sailers had at sea.....

She's in the French Resistance, who of course, were very active around, and within, the U-Boat bases.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, in the book and I think in them movie.... they were at a sub base in the beginning just before they headed out... then about 2/3rd of the way through the book they stop I think in Portugal before running the straights.... and then of course they come home to a base just before the final bombardment.... 90% or more of the book and movie are on and under the sea.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The series, I believe, is an amalgam of two books. It’s NOTHING like DAS Boot the movie. I mean yeah there are underwater/ on water scenes, torpedos, sinkings, depth charges, lions and tigers and bears ohhh my.....but over all it’s more Drama.

Overall I really dug it and would like to see another season. My only real complaint is there is what felt like a FORCED woke relationship in the movie. I generally am not bothered by this stuff if it feels natural or real or integral to a story it just bugs me when it feels like a check box and there is a bit of that at play. Didn’t distract me from enjoying the series overall though.

I give it 3.5-4 torpedos out of 5. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
The series, I believe, is an amalgam of two books. It’s NOTHING like DAS Boot the movie. I mean yeah there are underwater/ on water scenes, torpedos, sinkings, depth charges, lions and tigers and bears ohhh my.....but over all it’s more Drama.

Overall I really dug it and would like to see another season. My only real complaint is there is what felt like a FORCED woke relationship in the movie. I generally am not bothered by this stuff if it feels natural or real or integral to a story it just bugs me when it feels like a check box and there is a bit of that at play. Didn’t distract me from enjoying the series overall though.

I give it 3.5-4 torpedos out of 5. Smile

I believe the series was mostly set after the events in Das Boot barring some flashbacks and exposition, and is based mainly on the sequel book Die Festung (The Fortress, or the Submarine Base) , and activity aboard U-612.

(I know you know this Cslinger, this is more for those yet to see it, if they do)

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the series and hope Season 2 will be in the making. Warning: Spoilers to follow!!!!!!

I am concerned about how this season ended and the suggestion that big money Americans (Jews?) were complicit in the war and that they shared responsibility for the conflict. If they continue to go in that direction, it could and should be argued that the series is becoming a forum for holocaust deniers and other anti-Semites. The feature length film pretty much kept Germany's responsibility for WWII at arms' length and concentrated on the experiences foisted upon sailors that weren't so much Nazis as simply loyal Germans fighting for their country, but not necessarily Hitler and what he stood for. The TV series has branched out and I'm concerned what those branches might shelter. We'll see, I guess.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post