SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    It’s crazy what paperback/mass market classic Sci/Fi books are being sold for.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s crazy what paperback/mass market classic Sci/Fi books are being sold for. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
Several years ago, I was given 4-5 boxes of mostly science fiction paperback books of various types and conditions. A few are from the “Golden Age” of Sci/Fi. I’ve finally pulled them out of storage and started going through them and found two potential gems. The first book is for sale on Amazon for $969. The copy I have is the same edition, apparent condition, publisher etc. The second book is on sale once again on Amazon and IIRC, Ablebooks for $579. Once again, it is the same edition, publisher, condition, etc.

Granted, putting something up for sale is a lot different than actually selling it for your asking price. But, I think these copies warrant some more investigation. Now, if I could find a first edition of Asimov’s Foundation or Heinlein’s Starship Troopers then I for sure would have something worth a little bit of $$$$.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I would check Ebay to get a more reasonable estimate. . . I've seen run-of-the-mill books going for $20-30 on most Amazon listings, then some dude will have the exact same book listed for several hundred dollars.

I don't know why - maybe some people are so stupid that they just pay whatever price. Maybe a wife told the husband to 'sell all those useless books,' and they jacked the prices so nobody would buy them.

It's a mystery to me. Of course, I DO have a copy of the book Sled Driver, about the SR-71, which is going for (if you can find them) $4-500 nowadays. Collectors will pay ridiculous amounts of money for rare books these days.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a LOT of such sci-fi books. I should do some investigation.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a couple of years ago the whole limited print/run, rare book thing was a money-laundering scheme. People would buy or sell books as rare items, vintage, or rare prints on amazon. A person or company would buy it, and laundry their money that way.

The above was an offshoot of the white-paper scam that preceded it. basically they would rip off a white paper, publish it on amazon, charge 25k, and when it sold the criminals had just laundered their cash.

There were a few more steps to each, ie shell companies on both ends. For the most part that was the stick.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
I would check Ebay to get a more reasonable estimate. I've seen run-of-the-mill books going for $20-30 on most Amazon listings, then some dude will have the exact same book listed for several hundred dollars.

I work at a used book store, and we buy used books from the public all day long. We do use Amazon and eBay listings as well as our own sales history records to determine book prices and offers.

Independent sellers on Amazon can list things for whatever price they want, so a lot of times that's a poor indicator of book worth. Sometimes you'll see a new item for hundreds of dollars but their used listings will show 20 sellers offering books for around $5.00. A dozen or more listings of a high price is a better indicator.

For eBay, again, sellers can list whatver price they want. Be sure and check the "sold items" and "completed items" search boxes on eBay to see if anyone is actually buying the books at those prices or not.

AbeBooks is also a good place to check book prices.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
One of my books was listed for an equivalent price on Abe Books. I was also checking Thriftbooks.com as well which is my favorite online retailer.

But as I mentioned, a listed price does not equate to a sales price. But they appeared worthy of further exploration.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
using ebay, you can filter it out to show sold only, so you know that it was bid on ,,

I used Bookfinder, ebay and addall, when researching book prices,

firearms reference books bring stupid money,,, so the above help give me an idea what current market value is when buying estates,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's aggravating if you want to re-read a book you remember, but the replacement is priced as a collectable.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^

Kindle is a good work around to that problem if you like to read and buy books regularly.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I mostly read on Kindle, but these days if I buy a book that is politically "hot", I also get a paperback copy so Bezos can't make it disappear if he has a bad day.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post