SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Release Of “Planes, Trains And Automobiles” Today 35 Years Later!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Release Of “Planes, Trains And Automobiles” Today 35 Years Later! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I AM PSYCHED!

I’ve always been a fan of this movie, and when I met my wife 10 years ago, I soon discovered that her family are huge Planes Trains junkies and it’s a tradition to watch it the night before Thanksgiving, or after Thanksgiving dinner.

They managed to put out a new release that includes 75 minutes of unreleased footage, a lot of this footage actually helps explain some of the context that is missing in some of the scenes, like where the kid robbed them in the fleabag motel that night. Turns out he was the pizza delivery guy who they stiffed!

Here’s a deleted scene of something only John Candy could pull off; eat a chili dog simultaneously while smoking a cigarette Big Grin

Planes, Trains and Automobiles as you've never seen it before! New Ultra HD release contains 75 minutes of deleted scenes

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Too bad the deleted scenes were not re-edited into the original film.

For the last 15-20 years, we have watched this movie every Thanksgiving, and never grow tired of it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
THOSE AREN’T PILLOWS!!!!

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I laughed so hard I cried watching this the first time. The family had never seen me in such a state.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched this movie tonight. I need to watch this version now!

Posts: 374 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noted that a remake in the works when reading the UK Daily Mail article. Which actor will be playing the shower curtain ring fellow? Smile

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I saw this movie in a theater with my older brother (incredibly rare) when it came out and I recall laughing so hard I was crying and gasping...a lot.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I had no idea watching this on Thanksgiving was a thing. I am going to twist arms to get our little part of the family to watch it tonight after dinner.
See also:
Thirty-five years of crying to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I noted that a remake in the works when reading the UK Daily Mail article. Which actor will be playing the shower curtain ring fellow? Smile

They’ll never be able to recreate this movie.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

They’ll never be able to recreate this movie.

It will be hard to beat the orginal; just watched it on DVD. What car could they use to give it the Mini Family Truckster convertible look from the St. Louis to somewhere in Northern Wisconsin segment?

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last time I checked, Kevin Hart. Neil would be played by pussy-whipped bully Will Smith. Roll Eyes No, thanks.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now that there’s all this unused footage out there, there’s things that explain certain lines much better. For example when they lay down in the bed at the Braidwood and Del is making all sorts of noise clearing his sinuses, etc Neil makes reference to beer being spilled on the bed.

Turns out they filmed a scene with pizza and beer that was not used:

And if you look at the trailer, they also show Neil biting into a slice of pizza that is not shown in the movie.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys. I watched the first half hour and did not laugh once. I gave up at that point. Some forms of humor don't tickle the funny bone after 35 years.
Like Bob Hope's "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface", in which crude jokes about Indians that were funny when the film was made were no longer funny when I tried watching them decades later.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Whaaaaaaat? The movie is hilarious!

To each his own I guess

Another thing I just noticed is Del has a black eye at the very end when Neil brings him to his house. It turns out that when the car caught on fire and Del admitted he put the rental on Neil’s credit card and declined the insurance, Neil punched him in the face, something that didn’t make it into the final cut.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Sorry, guys. I watched the first half hour and did not laugh once. I gave up at that point. Some forms of humor don't tickle the funny bone after 35 years.
Like Bob Hope's "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface", in which crude jokes about Indians that were funny when the film was made were no longer funny when I tried watching them decades later.

Thank God, I'm not the only one who just thinks this movie sucks. Got up and walked out of the theater when it was released years ago and tried to give it another watch when it was released on video. Nope. Just not funny at all to me.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Thank God, I'm not the only one

Nope, you're not. It didn't do anything for me either. John Candy was a comic genius and had some wonderful roles, same goes for Steve Martin, but I found this movie just dumb.

It's no Uncle Buck that's for sure.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find the end very touching. Funniest part to me is when the car blows up behind them. My wife refuses to watch it. She says it makes her nervous.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post