Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Henry Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Good movie and the actors/acting was superb. Kinda slow starting and I was afraid it would be like a Costner movie (don't like him, don't like his movies, saw Silverado once and nearly
quit on it because of him/his character).

But it was well worth the 7 bucks. Far better than, IMO, Open Range (I watched it for Duvall, not Costner. Duvall is one of my favorite actors).

Old Henry is, IMO, one of the best recent westerns I've seen. Actually, since I could only think of Appaloosa and Open Range in that category, Old Henry is THE best of them.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I liked it, and once I figured out what was going on I liked it even more. It left me wanting more, and that's my mark for a good movie.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I also liked it, I wouldn't call it great. A couple of scenes felt forced, like the "Boss Fight" a bit odd. I was entertained though, worth the $4.99

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed. After an interesting start, it slogged it's way to cascade of cliches from the challenges of a disrespectful teenage kid, to the pulling out the bullet scene, to the old gunfighter taking on eight or ten badguys "mano on mano" alone and up close. Then of course, not only do all these bad guys fail to drop him (allowing the heroic old guy to get back inside the cabin), somehow he manages to sneak outside and take them on with knives and an axe. Roll Eyes

Cheap production values aside (like using a cross bolt equipped Winchester Model 94 for a couple scenes), I was glad that I didn't pay to see this in a theater, but it was probably "straight to video" anyway. No, even for the five bucks or so I paid, it wasn't worth it. Far too cheesy.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Thought it was phenomenal. Best western I've seen in years.

Beautifully filmed. Acting was great. Definitely a throwback to older westerns. I wish they made more lie this.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow these reviews are all over the place. Lol

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm going have to rent it on Prime - not in any theatres around here. Frown

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I read this and literally laughed out loud. I was thinking the same thing!

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Posts: 3442 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I just watched it and my summary is:

Decent but unfortunately the writing left it in a place where it should have been a Sunday Night Movie.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I mean, Nelson(?) does a great job, as do all the actors. The boy is okay, but his part is all wrong, IMO. There's no emotional hook because of how he treats his father. It was hard for me to believe that this man raised this child, and it felt like the boy was a walk-on for the family, at least that's how he was written. Contempt for his father in a world where he honestly wouldn't have known any better. PLUS, he would have spent the last 10 years with his father alone.

The writing for that relationship was shit.

Which is too bad. The movie would have been better had they spent a little more time writing a real relationship instead of trying to create drama early on but having him back-talk his pappy.

Some real missed cinematography opportunities too. Some great shots and some shots that they really goofed on because they cut away too quickly.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Figured out who he was right from the beginning. Entertaining movie none the less. Every time I see Nelson all I can think of are gophers on a stick.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night for three bucks. I liked it.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Somebody needs to explain the brand burned in to the "sheriff" for me at the end.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I read this and literally laughed out loud. I was thinking the same thing!

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

That's the main reason I don't read movie or restaurant reviews. It always seems like some people saw movie A and the other people saw movie B and they both had the same name.

Same for restaurant reviews except for the fact that I've discovered over the years that an awful lot of people don't know what good food tastes like so you can't depend on their reviews.

I was on a fairly long early morning flight a few years ago and flying First Class. They served fresh Island fruit, then an omelet with portuguese sausage and some kind of cheese and hash browns. Guy sitting across the aisle started telling the attendants how horrible the breakfast was and they offered him another. He said it wasn't bad, he just didn't like the taste of that kind of food.

I got in a conversation with him walking through the terminal and it turns out he was the captain of a deep sea fishing charter and he prefered hot dogs and hamburgers to anything else, so he didn't like some of the finer foods. His opinion is essentially worthless.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Somebody needs to explain the brand burned in to the "sheriff" for me at the end.

It’s the gang’s brand.

You see it earlier on another guy’s wrist.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I just rented it. I enjoyed it, I thought it was very good. The musical score added a lot also.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Finally saw this tonight - we really liked it! Great twist! Smile
I haven't seen Stephen Dorff in a while - he did a great job as the villain - liked Trace Adkins too. Cool

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night and we both loved it.

It hardly had any credited (speaking) roles. It was probably comparatively cheap to make. It's also nice that it seemed to be completely devoid of woke bullshit in the writing.

The end credits say it was filmed in Tennessee. We wondered if it was on Trace Adkins' land.

My wife said she must be a sick puppy because during the last fight scene, she derived a great deal of satisfaction from seeing Henry ambush a guy at the corner of the house with a knife first to the hand/wrist before then disarming and stabbing the guy repeatedly in the chest. I do love her so. Wink

I'm so glad this was posted here or I would have missed it.

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post