SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson to retire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson to retire Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Not much interest here for NASCAR but I have to acknowledge a great driver saying goodbye. The series is floundering, another big name gone won't help.

Jimmie Johnson will retire from the NASCAR Cup Series at end of 2020

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Definitely one of the greatest.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
NASCAR drivers are facing a large pay cut and he's made his share during the good years.
The travel schedule has got to be wearing on them and their families and he is at the end of his most competitive time.
Don't blame him a bit in fact I'd have stopped a year or two ago. I guess he just wants to cash in on a farewell tour and just complete a highly paid contract.

Posts: 9522 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
My soon to be daughter in law's brother is poised to be the next crew chief on the 48 car. 15 years ago this would have excited the heck out of me having someone in the family who could access tickets, VIP pit passes etc. My son and her have been to a number of races where they watch the races from the pits etc.

I haven't been able to muster enough interest to watch 10 laps in the last 10 years.
The sport never recovered from the death of Earnhardt.

The NBA seems to be doing all right without Jordan playing, the NHL is still around without Gretzky playing but NASCAR hit the wall the same time Earnhardt did.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
The sport never recovered from the death of Earnhardt.

Actually, ratings peaked from 2006-2007. NASCAR screwed up when they began tinkering with the points system, ‘suggesting’ people not to bring their Confederate flags to the tracks, forcing “diversity” on teams, and reducing HP on the cars to the point where they’re as slow as the Busch cars from not too long ago. I haven’t watched a race in years.

They sold their souls for the millennials, many of which have the attention span of a gnat, and it came back and bit them.

As for JJ, if he raced in Richard Petty or Earnhardt’s era, he would’ve easily won 10 championships and 150-225 races. He”ll never get the credit he deserves.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Jimmie Johnson is basically doing a Fernando Alonso in 2021. He's stated he wants to do some rally racing again and would like to do some IndyCar. Personally, I think it's great that we're finally getting back to a time where drivers get to do other things instead of spending their lives in one organization.

And Brian France has screwed over the sport. I loved what Jim France was able to do with sportcars/IMSA, but NASCAR needs to stop being the Pro Wrestling/"Sports Entertainment" wing of racing, get rid of Stage Racing, drop most tracks to 1 visit a year, and add more road courses.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

They sold their souls for the millennials, many of which have the attention span of a gnat, and it came back and bit them.

Sounds like another iteration of 'get woke and go broke'. Roll Eyes

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

It’s happening all over the place. Seeing the millennials being the target demo, then watching as the hobby, passion, or interest in something, well seeing the product or thing dwindle.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
NASCAR became a race where you can't race

to much interference from contrived rules

stage racing...yeah lets bust our ass and then have a mandatory caution, or better yet, lets get everyone to stop what their doing after 50 laps and start over...but we'll give y'all a point for fucking with you

NASCAR is dead - they just don't know it yet

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
"racing" not really

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I watched the Texas race a few weeks ago, it looked like the stands were about 5 percent full. Brian France brought the end to Nascar with his management. They still haven't announced a title sponsor for next year, Monster is done. I give them 2 to 3 years before they start closing up shop and going home like IRL did.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post