SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    One of the greatest live vocal performances ever - Bobby Hatfield "Unchained Melody"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One of the greatest live vocal performances ever - Bobby Hatfield "Unchained Melody" Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
This song came out in a prison movie in 1955, and has been covered by many. Two versions by the Righteous Brothers were on the chart simultaneously when it was rereleased when it was in the movie "Ghost" The only time that's ever happened.

Hatfield won the coin toss to record the song over the other Righteous Brother, and they didn't think it would be a hit, so it was a B side song and Phil Spector didn't bother to produce it, so Bill Medley produced and played keyboards on it. He said if he had known how big of hit it was going to be, he'd have hired a better keyboard player.

This performance was live on the Andy Williams show in 1965, and is analyzed by "Wings of Pegusus" who says Bobby sings with a 20 note range. It really is an unbelievable live performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj7k05JyHqs

Here is another analysis by an opera singer "The Charismatic Voice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyXfCq1ix3g

Posts: 7435 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Serendipity...I was just reading about Hatfield and Medley this morning. The closing theme song of the movie Major League (watched it yesterday) is "Most of all You" sung by Medley. GREAT song if you wanna do some belly-rubbin' with your lady. Cool

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the fact that this dude examines the singers from earlier times. He does analysis on another amazing vocalist - Julie Andrews.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere awhile back that very very early on they entered a singing contest. After their number they were leaving the stage and a black group was going onto the stage when one of them said in passing "That was righteous brother!" Thus the name was born.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I was in Disneyland around 1970, walking down Main Street with my soon to be ex wife. Saw Bill Medley walking down the middle of the street and stopped and talked to him for a bit, shook his hand and found he was going to be performing at the Tomorrowland Terrace that night.

I went to see the show and he started off with saying that while walking down Main Street, he had been spotted and talked to by hundreds of people...then he said actually it was around 5 people...then he pointed to me and said that I was the only guy who had recognized him. Then he went on to perform.

Interestingly enough, there are perhaps 5 singers I can recognize on sight and he's one of them.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I read somewhere awhile back that very very early on they entered a singing contest. After their number they were leaving the stage and a black group was going onto the stage when one of them said in passing "That was righteous brother!" Thus the name was born.

In another Righteous Brothers analysis by the same guy (Wings of Pegusus) he said early when they got together, they played at clubs near a military base, and that a fan there coined the name.

Posts: 7435 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That song done by Bobby Hatfield is one of my all time favorites!!

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And here it is Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16138 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about music or singing but that is really amazing. I watched part of the English guys analysis and and I get how it is one of those unforgettable events for those that understand these things.

I had a history teacher in high school that was a semi-profession singer and he once sang a song at a little show the school put on... no microphone or background music... I still remember being amazed that someone could project their voice so perfectly as he did.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
So different from the original version from the movie
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G11mDi_LXe8

Bobby Hatfield really had an amazing voice and technique.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16481 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That song has always been special to me. My grandfather died of a heart attack at age 54. Years later, when I was very young, the song came on the car radio, while riding with my grandmother. She told me in a wistful voice, that it always reminded her of him.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
And here it is Smile

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IYj2hex99gY" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Thank you kindly!!

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
IMHO this is the best reaction to Unchained Melody I have seen. I had a chance to meet this young lady and when I mentioned this video tears came to her eyes.

It has been said whenever he sang Unchained Melody in concert you would hear the sound of a thousand panties hitting the floor. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7651 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
IMHO this is the best reaction to Unchained Melody I have seen. I had a chance to meet this young lady and when I mentioned this video tears came to her eyes.

It has been said whenever he sang Unchained Melody in concert you would hear the sound of a thousand panties hitting the floor. Smile

WOW! Thanks for sharing this. Amazing too that you have met her and raised this subject. Loved her comments about "serenaded by the gods" and "definitely didn't grow up in the best era, especially not for music."

Yes 1965, when this version was released, was indeed a good year. I graduated from HS that year. Smile

And, being me, I must cajole you yet again about not having revealed your "velvet voice" to we mere mortal forumites! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16138 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

And, being me, I must cajole you yet again about not having revealed your "velvet voice" to we mere mortal forumites! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The man reveals all here: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...320063194#1320063194

Thanks Cliff! Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192