Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two banjos Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted

Abigail Washburn (clawhammer banjo, singer/songwriter) and her husband Bela Fleck, with a medley of 3 tunes, Sally in the Garden / Big Country / Molly Put the Kettle On:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIfFIEeZjw

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
In order for me to listen to the banjo, it has to be good.

That was better than good.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's what skill, combined with talent, sounds like.

And I love her smile.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
At the urging of a banjo-playing friend of mine (who, along with his guitar-playing wife, played at my wedding), we went to see a Bela Fleck contemporary, Tony Trishka. What an outstanding concert!

Those who think banjo playing is just a plinky-plinky thing should watch Fleck, Trishka and other masters of the instrument.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Every time I open this thread I listen to the whole trilogy again. Sally in the Garden was one of the first tunes I learned on my banjo (many, many years ago). Along with Blackberry Blossom those were my two favorites. I played Abigail's style. Her drop thumbing technique is flawless and she makes it look effortless, so much so you hardly even notice it.

You hardly ever see Clawhammer and 3 finger picking styles played together. But Bela has taken the Scruggs model so far beyond traditional bluegrass that he can blend it well with her.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks Henry, that was great! I’m thinking that the banjo is my favorite plucked instrument. Not counting the harpsichord, which is mechanically plucked.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting!

Posts: 63 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's some pickin'. I've got some Bela Fleck and the Flecktones around here somewhere; might have to dig it out.

And, yeah, her smiles and the way she gets into it...kind of charming.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once saw Bela Fleck and Tony Trishka together. Each showed off his own bag of tricks and then they played back and forth challenges. Each had their own styles, you could not say one was "better" than the other.

Posts: 974 | Location: Confluence of Mississippi & Ohio Rivers | Registered: October 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Thanks HenryAZ.

Here is an interview of the two of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5LeYKLhk6Q

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

One thing that has always struck me about the clawhammer style is the ever-present sound of the 5th string (the drone string) that gives the banjo its "ring". The style has the thumb constantly bouncing off the 5th string.

When in doubt, mumble