SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Carnival Row
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carnival Row Login/Join 
posted
Amazon. Me and wife just watched it. Already renewed for season 2. Really enjoyed it. Great casting, interesting story, well made. I recommend. Still can’t figure if I think the lead actress is beautiful or just extremely well cast as a faerie.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Someone said it reminded them of the movie Bright, which I thought sucked.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Someone said it reminded them of the movie Bright, which I thought sucked.

That's basically like saying "I saw a sci-fi movie with robots once and it sucked, so all sci-fi movies/shows with robots probably suck." Wink

They're similar only in that they have a somewhat similar basic premise.

Bright is a 21st century-style world (modern Los Angeles) where humans are living alongside fantasy races, with friction between the various races. Carnival Row is a late 19th/early 20th century-style world (sort of like late Victorian/early Edwardian Britain) with humans living alongside fantasy races, with friction between the various races.

Otherwise, they're unrelated. And Carnival Row is darker, and has higher production quality, better plot, and better worldbuilding.

Bright was basically a somewhat lighthearted buddy cop movie like Lethal Weapon or Bad Boys, just with the addition of fantasy races. I'd say Carnival Row is more like Penny Dreadful or From Hell, just with the addition of faeries and other fantasy races.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While you misunderstood what I was trying to say, I appreciate your explanation for the show. I might just watch it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
The GF and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I don't think they ever said whether it was an alternate time line, parallel universe, or whatevs. I kinda liked that they didn't.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I don't think they ever said whether it was an alternate time line, parallel universe, or whatevs.

Totally different world.

Below is a map of the fictional world.

The bulk of the show takes place in the Republic of The Burgue, which is a relatively large city-state. They were recently at war with The Quiviro-Cibolan Pact ("The Pact"), a larger country to the south that had invaded and occupied the faerie homeland of Anoun over in Tirnanoc, a large island continent to the East that is broken down into multiple fae kingdoms/principalities.

There are passing references in the show to a few other locations shown on the map, like a character who is descended from an ambassador from The Pharaonic Coast, or another character who grew up in Puyan and then spent time on the island of New Freehold.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
It reminded me of Perdido Street Station, only less insane. I enjoyed it.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Two episodes in, very cool.

Whatshername was in that Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. She does have an odd look about her. Pretty, yet....not. May be the haircut.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
She does have an odd look about her. Pretty, yet....not. May be the haircut.

It's not just the haircut. No matter her hair, whenever I've seen her in something, she's hard to pin down. One second, she looks gorgeous. The next, she looks like a slightly frumpy 14 year old boy. She's confusing.

Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Well, she's genderfluid apparently. Maybe that's it. Big Grin

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

I don't think they ever said whether it was an alternate time line, parallel universe, or whatevs. I kinda liked that they didn't.

I find the parallels in their (the Burgueans) religion and Christianity interesting. LOL

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Must be the Irish in me, my mother was pure Irish, my father about 40%. In the episode-and-a-half I’ve seen, the show feels like a metaphor for English oppression and exploitation of the Irish. I don’t know where the Sheep People fit into the equation.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And this, too,
shall pass away
Picture of Drifting Fate
posted Hide Post
Watched it when it came out.

The world building is very well done, but found it soon devolved into a simplistic allegory about illegal immigration (pro, of course) and race relations (my, how daring in this day and age, yawn).

Finished season 1, will watch season 2 simply for the production values, but don't expect to see much in the way of originality.

It's steampunk w/o the steam.

Posts: 3679 | Location: AZ | Registered: June 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Tried to watch last night waiting for the WS/Houston game to come on. I couldn't get through the first episode. I don't mind a little fantasy having really enjoyed GOT, but I found my mind wandering too much to follow the story line. You all enjoy.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the clarification on the overall setting.
Agreed it is mostly about tiresome issues, but...boobies.
So, I give it a pass.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post