New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dunkirk Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No worries man, I get it...

Problem with the internet is a lot of cues regarding intent just don’t show up in plain text.

Chances are if we were sitting and talking about this the misunderstanding never happens

My apologies if I jumped the gun too. Without the follow up by another member I probably wouldn’t have thought twice

Certainly wasn’t trying to get all “snowflakey”.

We’re good bro. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
[ Razz QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevbo:
Go back and read what you said, combined with the “around here” comment and tell me it doesn’t sound exactly like what I described

If you liked it, that’s great. I hated the Last Jedi, but I’m glad people like it, because maybe thst means I get another Rogue One in the future. I want more movies in the genre of Dunkirk, even if I stand by my statements. You’ll notice it wasn’t the style of storytelling I didn’t like, it was the portrayal of the soldiers.

It sure seemed, to me, like you were saying thst those of us that didn’t like the movie were the mindless mob....combine thst with someone quoting you and saying “it’s like that around here” and how exactly are we supposed to take it?

You asked why “we” had such a limited formula. I don’t. I can have an expanded formula and still not like this movie...and then you say to the “we” not to worry that something mindless will be along to appease them. Are “we” supposed to take it as a compliment? Prefontaine sure read what you said the same way I did...he just happened to think it was like that “around here”.

If that wasn’t your intent, and you were speaking in more nebulous terms, I get it. In however many years and however many posts I have here I’ve been in probably 2 pissing contests, and it was a long time ago. What you and prefontsine said rubbed me the wrong way. And if you look at it, I think it’s easy to see why, even it it wasn’t what you intended

I meant it nebulously. My own daughters begged me not to see "Five finger fistpump with Thanos", but I did. And my despair is complete. I laughed, I cried when spidey died, I really liked that kid. for me this downfall started with Winter Soldier when no one thought to call tony Stark? And so I have grown increasingly skeptical and, to my fault, aggravated.

So I rage at the universe. I should have been more careful not to directly push buttons here, among my friends. yes, I consider you guys my friends.

Kevbo, I thank you for taking the time to state your offense and hold me accountable to my words. It is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
*sigh*

Thanks for the spoiler warning, bro. I've been specifically avoiding the Avengers thread for a reason.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
*sigh*

Thanks for the spoiler warning, bro. I've been specifically avoiding the Avengers thread for a reason.

Crap. Sorry. I cant even get my apology right.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Spoiler warning?? It's Dunkirk. You should already know how it turned out. Razz

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was talking about the post mentioning a certain character dying in the latest Avengers movie.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought it was one of the best films I saw all year, especially from a technical standpoint. Beautifully shot, with amazing sound. I expect it will end up with a handful of technical Oscars, like Best Cinematography or Best Sound Editing.

I wish I had the opportunity to watch it on IMAX.

quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
And there should have been more planes. Pretty sure there were more than 3 Spitfires there.

Yep. The RAF flew around 3500 sorties to Dunkirk during the 10 day long battle.

I'm not sure the exact number of total fighters present, but it appears that the RAF lost over 100 fighters at Dunkirk during this period, of which over 60 were Spitfires.

My reading has indicated that the RAF had about 100 operational Spits at that time. There was big debate in whether or not to release them for operations in France. They were not - kept for home defense as the UK thought the battle for France lost; little faith in their French allies I guess.

BTW - the French DE 520 was a very good fighter and performed quite well against the ME-109's. The Germans only had partial air superiority in the '40 campaign. Had the Germans had total air superiority like the allies had in '44 - '45, Dunkirk would have had an alternate ending.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
My reading has indicated that the RAF had about 100 operational Spits at that time. There was big debate in whether or not to release them for operations in France. They were not - kept for home defense as the UK thought the battle for France lost; little faith in their French allies I guess.

Are you saying that there were no Spitfires over France? That is not true.

They had more than 100. Sir Hugh Dowding reported on June 3rd, 1940 that there were 280 operational Spitfires.

Dowding wisely limited the number of Spitfires over France, despite immense pressure to send more, but there were still a number of Spitfires operating over France. The RAF reported 477 fighters shot down over France from mid-May to mid-June 1940, of which 67 were Spitfires.

Even if you don't believe those figures, I'd point out that there was at a Spitfire shot down near Dunkirk in May 1940 that was later recovered and restored. So we know there were Spitfires there.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-fully-restored.html

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:

Are you saying that there were no Spitfires over France? That is not true.

They had more than 100. Sir Hugh Dowding reported on June 3rd, 1940 that there were 280 operational Spitfires.

Dowding wisely limited the number of Spitfires over France, despite immense pressure to send more, but there were still a number of Spitfires operating over France. The RAF reported 477 fighters shot down over France from mid-May to mid-June 1940, of which 67 were Spitfires.

Even if you don't believe those figures, I'd point out that there was at a Spitfire shot down near Dunkirk in May 1940 that was later recovered and restored. So we know there were Spitfires there.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-fully-restored.html

Spitfires were committed to the continent once the decision was made to pull back to Dunkirk. Spitfires were certainly over Dunkirk to cover the retreat of British troops and the french troops caught going the same way.

But in the initial French campaign of '40, there was debate on committing Spitfires. Of course your source must be correct since it is the daily mail, and mine is a book, in German (English language version) on the campaign.

German panzer units were 15 KM away from Dunkirk before the Brits arrived. Had they ignored orders to halt, like they had been doing most of the campaign, there'd be no movie.

BTW - in the book, the French had a war-game in '38, where the french General on offensive, broke thru the Ardennes and pierced French lines for a breakout in 60 hours. The Germans did it in 56 hours.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post