SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies about Israel recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies about Israel recommendations? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Just got through watching "Exodus". Anyone care to recommend anything in a similar vein?

Are we talking the 1960 movie here? Or "Exodus Gods and Kings" from 2014?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
There's an interesting British miniseries called "The Promise" that aired several years ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...mise_(2011_TV_serial)

It's a fictional story of a modern British girl who travels to Israel to track down info on her grandfather, who was a British Para during the British withdrawal from Palestine and the following founding of Israel.

It bounces back and forth between her modern day travels in Israel, and her grandfather's service in Israel immediately prior to independence in 1948.

It's an interesting look at the British experience in 1948, which is something that's often overlooked. And it gives some insight into the early history of Israel too.

I found that one pretty anti-Israeli. Probably explained by the hard feelings the Brits of that generation would have had over the mess the Israeli fight for independence was for them, as the makers are the same as of the excellent "Warriors" about British UN troops in Bosnia that managed to give the audience their view on the ground. Still, the "Israel bad, Palestinians good" outlook in the contemporary storyline felt all too modern. Honestly it tainted Claire Foy a little for me, probably completely unjustly, because that's the first I saw of her.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raid on Entebbe with Charles Bronson

Munich witk Eric Banna

Cast a Giant Shadow with Kirt Douglas

Posts: 2226 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Our man in Damascus

The Impossible Spy

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TV miniseries:
Against All Odds

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Above and Beyond was fascinating. Still kinda surprises me how the US was so reluctant to help.

There's a similar book (I had the audio book), Angels in the Sky: How a Band of Volunteer Airmen Saved the New State of Israel.
It went a lot deeper into the details. Many of the US pilots that tried to go were arrested and charged with various things. I highly recommend the book.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post