SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    I never watched Lost
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I never watched Lost Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
But 18 years late figured I'd give it a shot. Watched four episodes last night and lots to be intrigued about.

But is it worth my time to watch 6 seasons???

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Until Game of Thrones dethroned it several years later, Lost reigned as the king of "lots of great setup, but crappy payoff". Both shows seemed to lose control of their plots in the later seasons, only to culminate in weak attempts to wrap things up with unsatisfying endings.

That's why both shows were massive cultural phenomenons during their run, but are rarely ever mentioned any more after their disappointing final seasons.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I remember watching a few seasons & liking it, forget why I stopped watching.
Have heard about the ending, but never the full detail on it, so only have it partially spoiled.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Lost is the fictional equivalent to The Curse of Oak Island.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mixed feelings. Lost had some really great highs but really bad lows. Great pay-offs and WTF moments/if not partial seasons. All that said, my wife and I plowed through it over the course of a month or two, and overall I was entertained...mostly.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I recommend you watch it just to see what all the fuss was about.
Like most, I enjoyed it but felt the ending was lacking. It does give the viewer options for filling in the blanks on their own, but that isn't too popular in this century.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Only you can make that call. It's probably the biggest shaggy dog story in the history of television. 6 season build-up to an ending that was best described as emotionally, but not intellectually, satisfying. You'll have many unanswered questions at the end. Yet, at least for me, it was a heart-felt conclusion.

I've never been so engaged with a simple t.v. show, and I'd do it again without hesitation. Actually, that's literally true as I binge-watched the entire series not long ago, and will probably do so again.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Lost is the fictional equivalent to The Curse of Oak Island.

This guy gets it.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Apparently, Lost was one of the big victims of the Writers' Strike.

Posts: 2010 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The trip is better than the destination. But I think it's worth watching.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
While it wasn't a perfect show, there are a lot of reasons to watch Lost. For example...

• A ground-breaking and innovative show, with engrossing plot-threads and engaging character back-story arcs.

• Huge international ensemble cast.

• Michael Giacchino's pounding yet introspective musical score, so good it's almost a separate character.

• Beautiful backround provided by Hawaii, where most of it was filmed.

• Some attractive cast members in a tropical setting. Someone even called it the Island of Hot Women.

• Lots of Sigs, even mentioned by name in one episode.

• The possibility of a reboot/spin-off/sequel/movie, although probably not with the original writers and all of the original cast-members.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."
  •  
    Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    bigger government
    = smaller citizen
    Picture of Veeper
    posted Hide Post
    It defined the garbage “mystery box” method that Bad Robot uses to produce garbage payoff-less productions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...ion-explanation/amp/

That being said, I thought the first episode was fantastic and even the opening scenes were so so cool.

That mystery box though…

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Leemur
    posted Hide Post
    Wife and I watched a couple seasons and then looked at each other, said, “What is this shit?!” Never watched another episode. Most overhyped garbage freakin series I ever wasted part of my life on.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
    No! NO! NOOOO!

A TREMENDOUS STUPENDOUS WASTING OF YOUR LIFE AND TIME!

You would be much much better off watching Bud Spencer and Terence Hill in 'Who Finds a Friend Finds a Treasure' or 'Double Trouble'or 'Odds and Evens'.

Watch 'Amadeus". Its fiction but the music is beautiful.

PS, I also suggest 'Hell in the Pacific ' with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Giftedly Outspoken
    Picture of sigarms229
    posted Hide Post
    I enjoyed it. It's out there and as Batty67 said, its got some great Highs and some downright terrible lows.

The ending didn't do the show justice, but the ride there was interesting.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you're gonna be a
    bear, be a Grizzly!
    Picture of Todd Huffman
    posted Hide Post
    Watched it from the first day, and I rewatch it about once a year thanks to Hulu. The ending was shit but the first few seasons were great.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Seeker of Clarity
    Picture of r0gue
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RogueJSK:
    Until Game of Thrones dethroned it several years later, Lost reigned as the king of "lots of great setup, but crappy payoff". Both shows seemed to lose control of their plots in the later seasons, only to culminate in weak attempts to wrap things up with unsatisfying endings.

That's why both shows were massive cultural phenomenons during their run, but are rarely ever mentioned any more after their disappointing final seasons.

Best description I can imagine. If you like that sort of plot tease, it's got hours and hours of it. But there isn't a fantastic end that ties it all up. It seems like the writers never expected the next season, again and again. By the end, they were painted into a corner pretty firmly.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr kablammo:

PS, I also suggest 'Hell in the Pacific ' with Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune.

That too would be the trip is better than the destination. Love the movie, but all the endings are lacking.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rinehart
    posted Hide Post
    I notice that most of these shows try to attract female (not always) viewers by creating a “social” or emotional interaction aspect amongst the action scenes.

For instance, we were watching some movie/show where the people were being attacked by zombies. Right in the middle of the brutal attack one of the characters starts an argument with her significant other because she feels he is showing another character improper attention.

Right in the middle of the attack whilst they are dodging and killing zombies.
    So the main character is having to defend himself and the other character while they yell out their feelings and why they are upset with each other.
    I have seen this done effectively (...with an appropriately light touch) before in many movies, but not prolonged over several minutes and not quite so cringy.
    It appears that in our present state of film wokeness anything like this seems best applied with a trowel.

It positively reeked of Phoebe Waller-Bridgeness.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 2BobTanner
    posted Hide Post
    Rosebud; that was the name of the sled.

They were stuck in Limbo, as they hadn’t moved on to the next stage of their “existence”.

There ya go; now you’re caught up.

---------------------
    LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post