SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Automobile fire extingushers, I learned something today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automobile fire extingushers, I learned something today Login/Join 
posted
Have carried a 5 pounder in the car for thirty years , only had to use them twice, on other vehicles.

My gauge said it was time to recharge.

While going by a neighbors house , five doors down I see a Fire Extinguisher service vehicle in the drive way , and he's outside as well.

So I pull over and ask him two questions, ( really nice fella)

chatted briefly , he asked if I lived in Tiny town , I said sure. he said wait here.

Gave me a 5 lb. extinguisher and took mine in trade Eek

No Charge ! Christmas came early Big Grin woo hoo !

additionally he shared a fun fact.

A B C extinguisher's are great for putting out car fire, they do the job , and then some.

But.

if you ever have to use one on your own vehicle

pressure wash it twice , to get all of the retardant off of everything electrical ,under the hood and get rid of the car within two weeks.

the electrical charge and the retardant interact and corrode all of the connections badly .

it's parts car now.

I would have never guessed

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
So either way, the car is a goner. Might as well let it burn the claim the insurance... Razz

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Every so often, pick up the extinguisher and give it a slap with the butt of your hand and shake it up. The powder inside tends to settle and needs to be shaken.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
So he gave you a fire extenguisher with no charge? Sounds just about useless to me. Big Grin

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You could avoid the whole cleanup with a Halon extinguisher. They are a bit pricey, though.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I keep a dry powder extinqisher on the inside drivers side door of my work van... my 'employee' Beauregard has managed to set it off twice... what a mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNd3x2MFV0

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
You could avoid the whole cleanup with a Halon extinguisher. They are a bit pricey, though.

That's why you have two - one for me and one for thee.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

he told me that Halon is what they use for air craft,
I rarely get more than 12 -15 inches off of the ground Big Grin

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the discharge in your ride thing: BTDT. Resulted in a trip to the ER.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the retardant did not com out of my 5 pounder,
just the gas propellant .

He told me that there is a valve inside that goes bad , eventually.

so I got that going for me

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I once had an extinguisher break free from its mount in the trunk and discharge itself... as I was on the way to a job interview.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI, I had an ancient ABC kitchen bottle in the house I bought a few years ago, it had to be 40+ years old by my estimate.

Asked a firefighter friend on how to dispose of it and he told me to hold it inside a contractor size/weight trash bag in the yard and discharge it then put the empty bottle in the trash.

That sucker discharged like it was brand new!

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is no cleanup with a BC fire extinguisher, it is carbon dioxide and used on things like oil/grease/Wood fires and such. The A in ABC is for putting out fires of things like carpet and upholstery.

The manufacturing of Halon was outlawed in 1994, so good luck finding one that is still good. That being said, there are several new fire extinguishing agents that took Halons place such as FM-100, FM-200 and 3 different ones from Dupont.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Friends and I had a shoot a few years back and the guy hosting it new a buddy that ran a fire extinguisher company.. he got about a dozen dry chemical ones that were outdated and I presume could not be refilled.... most said they needed recharging.... they still threw dry chemical all over the place when hit. It was fun.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I carry a halon extinguisher in my truck. It’s actually an expired one from our office server room. But, its a great deal friendlier on electrical components than the chemical ones. Granted, it may be moot point depending on severity of fire.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:
I carry a halon extinguisher in my truck. It’s actually an expired one from our office server room. But, its a great deal friendlier on electrical components than the chemical ones. Granted, it may be moot point depending on severity of fire.

Can't those things kill you? I was told if they leaked or accidentally went off, they can quickly displace the oxygen in a closed area and suffocate you in no time flat.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by mjlennon:

Can't those things kill you? I was told if they leaked or accidentally went off, they can quickly displace the oxygen in a closed area and suffocate you in no time flat.

Yes, if they leaked quickly or were discharged in an enclosed space

"High concentrations of halon can create an oxygen-deficient environment. This can cause people to suffocate.
**Interruption of the Central Nervous System**
Large amounts of halon gas that are inhaled can interfere with the proper function of the central nervous system. This causes symptoms of dizziness, a tingling sensation in the extremities, and in some cases a victim with go unconscious."

spectrumfx.net/blog/the-multiple-dangers-of-halon

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post