SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Homeowner DIY, Wood Putty or Wood Filler?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner DIY, Wood Putty or Wood Filler? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Sirs, your advice please. I have an exterior door that developed a void of the wood around the face plate and latch assembly. Everything still operates properly but this gouge bothers my wife. The gouge is about 2 inches long, 1/8 deep, and is part of the edge of the door. So the substitute would be recreating the original countour of the door.

Looking online I am finding mixed reviews about wood putty or wood filler. Which do you recommend?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve used types of wood putty for small jobs, mostly sorta filling in a modest hole. The putty has worked for me, more often than not.

The part that sounds questionable is getting the ‘contour’ the way you want it. It sounds like you may want to form an edge of some fashion.

Another idea is to take a picture with a phone or Ipad & ask the ‘pro’ at a full service hardware store, above the average big box employee. I’ve had great luck on pluming & other issues with guys at the full service Ace or True-Value.

Of course, quality of ‘free’ advice will vary with location.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You know mixing wood glue with sawdust has worked with woodworkers for years.
True, it may not be ideal in every situation and an aftermarket product might be appropriate.
It generally works well but sometimes can dry darker which can be a problem with some light stains but works well with paint over.
I've gotten tired of having some on my shelf (also expensive) but the time I get to using it - it was dried out. Frown

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Minwax high performance wood filler, a 2 part product, mix well.

If there is any rot use Minwax wood hardener first.

Used this on a front door sidelight wood frame at the bottom. It worked well. Moved after 2 years, so long term lasting ability is unknown.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post