SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    question for the trekkies , here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question for the trekkies , here Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
I remember in The Original Series Roddenberry belabored a bit on the transporter and how it actually functioned.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Um wait, wrong show.

Years ago I recall a book called "The Making of Star Trek" and in that book, there was a discussion of the transporter.
For every use of the transporter, it cost something like $10000, so they did try to minimize gratuitous transporter usage.

I might be remembering incorrectly, but it was something like 40 years ago that I read the book.

That's where I got most of my info. Don't remember all the fine details either. Great book even for casual fans of TOS.

Kind of crazy, considering he invented transporter technology to save money on what would otherwise have been a lot of shuttle craft scenes. Of course, time was a major consideration, too.

-Rob

Even crazier, they were originally going to land the entire ship on each new planet!

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Even crazier, they were originally going to land the entire ship on each new planet!

Which apparently eventually carried over to Voyager's ability to do so.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The transporter deaths in the first movie still get me. Also they can transport your body but are you still the same person? Damn I love scifi

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
The transporter deaths in the first movie still get me.

What we got back didn't live long.
Fortunately.

That was a terrifying scene. I like how Galaxy Quest did their version of a transporter accident.

"It came up inside out. Then it exploded."

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
The transporter deaths in the first movie still get me. Also they can transport your body but are you still the same person? Damn I love scifi

Well...

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I've always wondered about using the teleport to fix medical issues. Cancer? Just beam yourself and reassemble without the cancer cells. Could you save a copy of yourself and get reassembled with a heart you saved 5 years ago that was healthier?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I've always wondered about using the teleport to fix medical issues. Cancer? Just beam yourself and reassemble without the cancer cells. Could you save a copy of yourself and get reassembled with a heart you saved 5 years ago that was healthier?

Transporters on the show have been used to deactivate weapons before they are rematerialized, so anything seems possible.

Curing cancer should be a breeze.

Also, they were used at least once to restore someone to health by using a pattern of that person from when they were healthy. So, this should directly result in immortality. Every 5-10 years, just go back for a 'reset to factory settings' (losing 10 yrs of memory would suck, tho).

Also, it is an efficient cloning device. Foe example, there were 2 Will Rikers. A transporter accident had Will beam up to his ship, but the beam bounced off the ionosphere or something, sending an identical Will back to the planet. This could easily be duplicated. The advantages of this are clear to see, especially since the Dominion War caused the loss of hundreds of Federation ships and crews.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Could be your "consciousness" cannot transfer to a template that isn't exactly like the one it just left.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Voyager had transporter issues too. Tuvok and Nelix became Tuvix. Physically and mentally.

So, even 100ish years into transporters, they were....will beRazz sketchy.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My nerd fangs are appearing.

Could it be said that:
transporter = replicator

Both convert matter to energy back and forth supposedly. One is just large enough to handle earth sized people etc. Is that about it?

Shouldn't they go by the same name, or are we going to say it is like calling a garden trowel a shovel?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post