SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hotel California (Eagles) 46and2 related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel California (Eagles) 46and2 related Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
46and2’s long good-bye thread reminded me of the Eagles hit, “Hotel California”:
"You can check-out any time you like"
"But you can never leave”

6:30 audio with lyrics display
https://youtu.be/UehilhnMt5Y

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've never listened to any of their studio albums, but I remember watching Hell Freezes Over live on MTV and still listen to that album quite often.

https://youtu.be/6NvvTe9I7f0

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Don Felder composed perhaps the biggest hit in the band's career. Here he plays it it front of a couple of pretty good guitar players.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don Felder composed perhaps the biggest hit in the band's career. Here he plays it it front of a couple of pretty good guitar pl

Lot of grey hair in that room LOL Reading up on Hotel California, interesting that Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull said that the song has bit of We Used to Know by Tull. Check the guitar out at 1:23, there are some similarities, both great songs

quote:
Hearing “Hotel California” for the first time gave Jethro Tull multi-instrumentalist Ian Anderson a serious case of déjà vu. To his ears, the global smash sounded distinctly like his own composition, “We Used to Know,” from the prog-rockers’ 1969 sophomore album, Stand Up. The fact that the Eagles and Jethro Tull toured together in 1972 did little to dispel his belief that, maliciously or not, they lifted elements of the song from him. “Maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song ‘Hotel California’ sometime later,” he said in an interview with Songfacts.

In the Eagles’ defense, the tour took place two years before Felder, the song’s primary composer, officially joined the band in 1974 – though he was a friend of founding guitarist Bernie Leadon at the time and could have conceivably attended one of the performances. Felder himself later denied having ever heard “We Used to Know” at the time he wrote the song, and claimed to know little about Jethro Tull other than that they featured a flautist.

Whatever the case, Anderson takes a magnanimous view of the incident. “It’s just the same chord sequence,” he continues. “It’s in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it’s a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can’t feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. … There’s certainly no bitterness or any sense of plagiarism attached to my view on it – although I do sometimes allude, in a joking way, to accepting it as a kind of tribute.”

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thanks HRK, I really enjoyed that – it was new to me. And yeah, lots of similarity with “Hotel California”. And such a vocal sounding guitar.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post