New
Find
Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2023 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek
We'll see how he does, but that's a risky move, given the HRC riders habit of tossing riders.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Joan Mir was someone I always considered to be disciplined and good at avoiding a crash. He can barely finish a race on the RC-213.

Marini is either getting paid enough to retire after one season or he is as brave as he is stupid. That bike is total garbage and its garage is a rather toxic environment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
This was simply Marini's only shot at a factory seat with factory money (hopefully with a good healthcare plan) and it gets him from under the Rossi umbrella. I truly hope that HRC puts a competitive bike under him and the same goes for Yamaha and Quartararo.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I do agree that it would be great to have multiple mfgs competing at the front.
The Ducati, and sometimes Aprilia, show is fun & still shows how unpredictable GP can be.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I've got a question about the MotoGP subscription package. Those that have it, do you think it is worth the price?

I'm just a casual fan, no favorites, just enjoy the different venues and camera angles. And anything is better than the NFL on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll hazard a guess that pre & stick are in the 100% yes group.
If there were no broadcast, I'd consider it, same as F1.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I watch the practice sessions as well as a few pressers along with the races. Generally it's worth the price but this season has me rethinking my decision to spend money on it again. The commentators are kind of obnoxious and the racing just isn't that great with the aero & squat devices, and I don't see that changing next season. They did a customer survey last season and I don't think they listened to a damn bit of feedback.

Honestly, I'm still gonna get the subscription but I'll be gnashing my teeth while I do it. Hope that helps Tom.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I've got a question about the MotoGP subscription package. Those that have it, do you think it is worth the price?

I'm just a casual fan, no favorites, just enjoy the different venues and camera angles. And anything is better than the NFL on Sunday afternoon.

Thanks.

I think it is 100% worth it. You are not just getting access to all the races you also get access to the archives and documentaries that follow the sport.

I haven’t seen an NFL game in years. Having a MotoGP subscription replaced the NFL for me and to be honest it is totally better.

My wife is into this sport and often is the one bugging me to sit down so we can watch the race! Cool She watched the documentary Hitting the Apex narrated by Brad Pitt and became a HUGE MotoGP fan which is odd because she hates that I own motorcycles. Big Grin

Even as a casual fan it will pull you in. This sport is FUN to follow! The race length was designed to keep 18 year olds attention. My uncle was visiting us and commented on how MotoGP is the perfect length for a race. He then went on to bemoan his recent NASCAR experience. He travels to Europe more than he lives in the US these days and keeps bugging me to plan a trip to see a MotoGP race in Portugal, Italy or Austria or go see the Isle Of Man TT which is another new fascination of his.

If you ride motorcycles or have a casual interest in Motorsport this is one of the best series you can follow.

You also get access to the two minor leagues which are equally exciting and unpredictable maybe more so than the premier class.

With the controversial addition of sprint races it’s something to watch both Saturdays and Sundays. Cool Fridays too! (Free practice) Fridays are fun to watch when I’m bored.

They race in a different country every week to two weeks so it’s a very cool series to follow. They also race in the rain so unless it’s a torrential downpour with bad wind like in Australia this year you won’t deal with many rain delays. Rain races are crazy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
This was simply Marini's only shot at a factory seat with factory money (hopefully with a good healthcare plan) and it gets him from under the Rossi umbrella. I truly hope that HRC puts a competitive bike under him and the same goes for Yamaha and Quartararo.

Agreed. He may have simply wanted to get out of his brother’s massive, widespread, shadow. It’s one thing to be the brother, or half brother, of Vale, it’s another to have to work for your own family. That’s kind of a bitch. He gets paid more, and has a factory seat. Every rider in that championship wants a factory seat/bike but Bez, he turned it down this year. That just means he likes his crew, team, and doesn’t want the added bullshit that comes with a factory seat. More pressers, more everything, photo shoots, autograph signings, etc.

HRC has the deepest pockets in the paddock. If you could get in, when they are dumping money into development, well you get a factory seat, the paycheck, and could be a key figure in turning the program around. Marc leaving could be argued as a dumber decision, or Bez turning down the factory Ducati next year. People have to remember that Ducati shares data with all their riders so it’s pretty damn hard to carve out your own shit without bloodsuckers stealing all your data. In the old days, Rossi included, did not like sharing data across the garage(s) because if you figure something out, everyone else gets to steal your shit and benefit from that, which kind of sucks for a rider out there risking their life with every lap. At Honda it goes from 8 bikes to 4. Luca knows they have an embarrassment of riches at Ducati. Bags, Martin, Beast, Bez, and he’s way down the order in terms of importance. Next year Morbidelli joins the fold and he’s a multiple race winner and fast as shit. History will show, not Neil Hodgson, if this was the move or not. Neil doesn’t know that, and neither does anyone else. Could be dead right or dead wrong. I know HRC isn’t going to sit around with the embarrassment of a 8 time champion leaving. Honestly Marc got a bunch of engineers at HRC fired, replaced with his people, so between those decisions and his lack of development skills, well that bike being fucked is all on him.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12924 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:

Thanks.

I’ve had it since they started it almost 20 years ago. Long past the reschedules, the missing airings, etc. That got old quick. GP coverage was excellent when it was SpeedVision. They even had these shows..there was one for GP and another on WorldSBK that aired every week and covered or recovered things. It was awesome. When they got bought out and everything changed we did the online thing. For years I would have to hit play in Safari on an iPad then send it to the AppleTV. Thankfully now they have an app on the ATV, which makes things easier.

It’s way worth it to me and I milk it for everything its got. Press conferences are on Thursday before each race. Interviews on Friday night, more press conferences on Sat night after qualifying and again Sunday night after races. Then you get all the practices and qualifying for all classes, the races. And the PQ of the streaming is better than OTA. Most importantly to me, zero commercials. That’s worth it alone. Their 1080p feed is better than 1080i broadcast, and the panel upscales it to 4k so the PQ is jaw dropping. The colors of all the bikes really pop and the onboard shots from the bike or shoulder are unbelievably fucking cool. A lot of times in practice they’ll roll with one rider for a lap or 3/4 of a lap, you’re onboard, looking at the pavement, every corner. As a rider that is the closest you can get. I’ve tried to get on the 2 seat Ducati with Randy Mamola and $ isn’t enough anymore. You have to be some actor or famous person. I did a VIP thing at COTA one year. Got to talk to every rider, go in every garage, except Yamaha. And I wanted that, bad, to get Vale on my Fiat Yamaha R1, his bike, the only one they ever released here, and he was gone in Austin somewhere doing some promotion bs at one of the dealerships. I was fuming but I did get the track to myself and nothing like riding full bolt, around COTA, with no one on the track and nobody in the stands. I stopped in front of the Yamaha garage, while on track, started blipping it loud and all the mechanics came out with puzzled faces on their mugs, confused, as they thought one of their bikes was on track. I mean the firing order is very similar. Mamola was our guide that day, except on track, and he told me the 2 seat Ducati ride is unobtanium now. So the membership is the closest you can get.

So yeah, the app is worth it. If you are a casual fan and have no interest in watching qualifying, some interviews and pressers, probably skip it. I have to have it and will shut other things off to have it. Total junkie here for 25 years. I used to go to every race since they started coming back to the US, in 2005 or 2006, forget which. But I went to World SBk at Laguna prior. Was my annual vacation complete with VIP riders pass to go anywhere I wanted at Laguna. COTA is run by some dipshits only interested in $ and not the same. I was in person for Vale’s last ride in the US and knew it’s highly doubtful I’ll ever go back. You get better coverage of the race on the membership than you do even at the track. I would recommend going once, to hear them in person. The starting grid before the light goes green needs to be seen, heard, and felt, as no video you can find will do it justice. When Maximus says “on this signal unleash hell”, it’s like that. All them bikes at once banging on the limiters at 130db a piece. $125 a year or whatever, for everything you get, is a deal. Ten bucks a month is not outrageous compared to other streaming shit but this is real, not Hollywood fakery, and everyone’s life is on the line, whether practice, qualifying, racing, or even the tests.

I’ve explained to Football nuts, that those guys are pussies compared to GP riders who have high sides, Superman style, break collarbones, legs, etc, and get right back on the bike. Vale, many others, using a got damn cane to get on the motorcycle, and race when they should be at home in bed, maybe even still in the hospital. Nothing else like it. No other athlete or sport can compare to me.

Posts: 12924 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well said Prefontane. Those guys are modern day Gladiators. Every single one of them has my respect. They are brave beyond words and their sport is IMO the most beautiful sport on this planet!

If you got the subscription and have even a slight interest in racing I doubt you would regret it.

My biggest regret is not subscribing sooner.

I truly believe it is the greatest show on Earth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think I'll be in for a subscription when the new season starts.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Catching up on the weekend and have already done the practice sessions from Friday. I’m on the third session prior to qualifying, FP2. Aleix smacked the fuck out of Morbidelli, with his hand on the back of Franco’s helmet. Race stewards investigating. It looks, from the cams, that Aleix will get penalized as that bs was unnecessary. And I like Espargaro, only two Spaniards I like are him and Mav. Good luck with it buddy, you overreacted.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely sounds unwarranted, what was the cause of it?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well that main event was not at all what I expected. Happy for Fabio Di Giannantonio. Hopefully someone gives that lad a ride next year. He FN earned it.

Super lame to see a shit tire potentially ruin what could have been an amazing battle between championship leaders today. WTF Michelin!?!? Mad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Definitely sounds unwarranted, what was the cause of it?

Nothing but Aleix overreacting. He got a 10k Euro fine, and he had to drop 6 positions on the start for today’s full race.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen football players hit their own teammates helmet harder during celebrations. It’s not like Frankie didn’t have a history of doing questionable shit either. The whole thing makes me respect both of them a little less.

Marquez has done far worse with his own fucking bike during races and with devastating outcomes to other riders. MotoGP fans and how the penalties are handed out seems to defy logic at times. I swear some of them on Reddit huff glue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Italian lockout of the podium, both riders and bikes Big Grin

Luca, not looking so dumb now going to Repsol. Pole position, and 2 podiums.

Bags, rode the race he needed to in the clutch. He tried to get back at the end but got sucked into aero and nearly cost him, but he did try. Dude has ice in his veins and try to get to the front and run away, did everything he could.

Digia, superb. Felt for the guy as you knew he broke down post race lap. That’s what this sport is about, and what makes it the best sport out there. Took him quite a while to acclimate but finally, he did it. Lost his fucking job due to that asshole Marquez. Dumb move Ducati. I hope Valentino doesn’t go with the kid and gives this man a seat next year. He is Italian, and is a MotoGP race winner. Used to, if won a race in this class, you were guaranteed a ride. Sad to see and tired of the politics, especially the Spanish politics.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bags & Diggia put on a hell of a ride. That dive into T1 by Bags was lucky to not go way wrong, looks like he just barely missed tire on tire contact.
Luca was reeling him in, just a couple more laps & 2nd might've been in the cards.

Big day to forget for Martin, his race just unraveled.

Enea started to come back late on, taking Martin puts a little feather in his cap to give the extra point to Bags.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If you look at how the points broke out this whole year, between Jorge and Pecco, yeah the Sprints are neat and all (can’t stand this format), but you need to win and podium on Sunday. Blaming tires ain’t gonna cut it. They’ve been spec tires for over a decade, getting close to 15 years either Bridgestone or Michelin. Everyone gets the same shit.