SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Courier movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Courier movie Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted
We saw it a week ago last Friday. For those who haven't seen it, I won't go beyond the basic premise of a soviet official who wants to spy for the west and salesman recruited to function as a go between. Really very well done and we were not disappointed. Many of these cold war thrillers are pretty similar, but Benedict Cumberbatch seems to have been born for this kind of stuff.

This was the first movie we've seen at the theater for close to a year. Just the movie was $26 for two tickets. Not a special theater, just the smallest size basic dolby in a multiplex cinemark theater right next door to their corporate headquarters. In a nice location, it was usually swamped on weeknights and a little wild at 7pm Friday and Saturday nights.

Friday night and it was deadsville.

For the first time, I now believe many theaters, perhaps most of them, may really eventually go the way of the dodo.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We just finished rewatching The Americans & really want to catch this one.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You must have gone to Cinemark West Plano. The other one was my go to when I was still going. BTW, Costco sells passes for Cinemark. That should save you some $ if you have a membership. They are about $8.50, 4 for $34. And they would have worked for this.

I’m looking forward to seeing it. I have it set to ship out to me on June 2nd from Netflix Blu Ray. He’s a great actor and I’ve been anxiously waiting. It’s on Prime but they want stupid money for it so waited the extra 6 weeks for Blu Ray.

Yeah I’ll never go back. They can blow the places up for all I care. They failed to enforce quiet rules and especially phone use. I quit going 2 years ago and the phone use was just rampant, terrible, and guaranteed. They wouldn’t shut down the behavior so I shut them down. They’ll never receive another dime from me. Whatever it is, it’ll be on 4k or 1080p Blu Ray 90-100 days after it’s been released in the theater. I mean I had already lipped off at people telling them to be quiet, or put your phone away. Just a few years prior they’d apologize for the behavior and stop it. Last few years they’d bow up at you. I knew when they started that I’d get arrested if I continued going.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Yeah I’ll never go back. They can blow the places up for all I care. They failed to enforce quiet rules and especially phone use. I quit going 2 years ago and the phone use was just rampant, terrible, and guaranteed. They wouldn’t shut down the behavior so I shut them down. They’ll never receive another dime from me. Whatever it is, it’ll be on 4k or 1080p Blu Ray 90-100 days after it’s been released in the theater. I mean I had already lipped off at people telling them to be quiet, or put your phone away. Just a few years prior they’d apologize for the behavior and stop it. Last few years they’d bow up at you. I knew when they started that I’d get arrested if I continued going.

Preaching to the choir. I have had many a plan (read fantasy) to throw the offender over the entry ramp railing. There was even one in this showing of The Courier, even though the tiny theater only had 8 people in it. No noise but he just had to light it up about every 5 minutes.

Nowadays we generally only go when my wife wants to. She still likes the theater experience.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

Preaching to the choir. I have had many a plan (read fantasy) to throw the offender over the entry ramp railing. There was even one in this showing of The Courier, even though the tiny theater only had 8 people in it. No noise but he just had to light it up about every 5 minutes.

Nowadays we generally only go when my wife wants to. She still likes the theater experience.

Yup. For me it was every single film I went to see for 2 straight years. Every single one. And I used to go every weekend Q4 when all the Oscar stuff (some of those are actually good, the non-woke ones anyway) is out + Xmas films. Slowing to twice a month during the slower release points of the year, Q1 and Q2. But I marveled at 2 years straight every single film with phone interruption. It’s a pacifier for them, they have to suckle it constantly.

2 years ago it just set me off and I went on a spending spree to upgrade every piece of my HT. That was it. I was walking out of the theater and I said that’s it, I was red in the face. On top of the phones, this was 2 straight films of getting stuck next to a young woman playing with their hair the entire film. I mean straight ADD and I had already seen that a lot. They are so f’d up now they cannot sit still, focus on a film with a huge screen, and just be immersed for 90-120 minutes. I’d sit there and ask myself why do they pay this money to even go to a film? Must be to update their social media bs with “Seen it!” The narcissism is out of control. I mean there must be 3-5 warnings before the film to shut up, put your phone away. They can’t do it, crack heads.

I got into it one too many times with people about their phones or loud talk. I’d say something to the effect of “Hey, I didn’t pay this money and waste my time to sit here and watch you play on your phone, put it away or I’ll get the usher”. Got people kicked out, they made threats, but even when I got them kicked out you miss 10-15 minutes and just ruin the deal. One time the Plano PD officer working the Cinemark had to get engaged.

It’s a no win situations and these theaters aren’t doing anything about it. And this toleration to this is going to put them all out of business. I feel for the CEO’s. They know if they heavily enforce a ban on phones etc, the millennial twattersphere will look like July 4th. And that could put them out of business because these kids are happy to watch a new release film, on their phone. I know I’ve talked to them. “I just watch it on my phone.” Then if they don’t do anything about it, people like us will leave permanently which could put them out of business.

The Courier released on Amazon Prime for $19.99 the same day it hit theaters. Honestly if it’s more than one person, $10 each isn’t bad to be in the comfort of your own home, release night, and you can make your own food, popcorn, snacks, whatever you want to do. The panel and audio you need to make it nice keeps coming down in price. I’ve got better PQ and audio than the commercial cinema can provide. I do miss the big screen though.

Sorry for the thread drift. OP partially covered this. I look forward to seeing this in a few weeks.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just watched this. Really well done. It's available for free with Amazon Prime now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skull Leader,

Posts: 11152 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Watched and enjoyed it. Additionally the Courier with Jeffrey D Morgan and Mickey Rourke on Amazon Prime from 2013 was quite enjoyable also, for an action suspense flick.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It was good. The cia lady brought her quirks to the role from Mrs Maisel which was good for that show but off putting as a cia agent.

Generally liked it but really pissed politicians left the guy for a year after all he did and risked.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Generally liked it but really pissed politicians left the guy for a year after all he did and risked.

A Spoiler Alert would have been nice.

I just added it to my Amazon List

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Another great performance from Benedict Cumberbatch. I really liked it.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post