SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    All Quiet on the Western Front
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Quiet on the Western Front Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Wish I had Netflix so I could watch this. The trailer looks really good.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
That does look like it's been done well. I don't have Netflix either, so I'll have to wait until it's hopefully available somewhere else.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the heads up.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12126 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Would like to see. I’ve seen the other 2 I know about. Terrible, The war to end all wars.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, we do have Netflix. I’m looking forward to this. Tks for the heads up.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I just set aside 2 hours and some bourbon.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. I read the book in junior high, like Sigfest watched the English-language movies I knew about, and now-- with a little bit of "free time" soon on my hands-- am digging back into WW history.

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
If you liked the book I would suggest the follow up “The Road Back”. As a veteran I enjoyed it more the All Quiet on the Western Front.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
So it's a remake of the original. Perhaps it will be good.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
So it's a remake of the original.

No, it's a more modern adaptation of the novel.

A "remake" use the prior film itself as the basis. But a film that adapts the same source material (book/fable/comic/etc.) as a prior film is not a "remake".

quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
If you liked the book I would suggest the follow up “The Road Back”. As a veteran I enjoyed it more the All Quiet on the Western Front.

If you liked reading "All Quiet On The Western Front", I'd also suggest Ernst Junger's "Storm of Steel". They're very similar, both being based on the German soldier's experience on the Western Front of WW2, except SoS is a nonfiction memoir of the author's WW1 service, compared to AQotWF that's a novel based on the author's WW1 experience.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Wrong.

https://www.collinsdictionary....%20is%20a%20movie,...

A remake is a movie that has the same story, and often the same title, as a movie that was made earlier.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The modern version of The Hobbit was not a remake of the 1977 animated The Hobbit. They were both adaptations of the even older original novel.

The new It film was not a remake of the older It tv miniseries, they were both adaptations of the even older original novel.

The new Batman film is not a remake of the Nolan Batman films, or the older Burton/Schumacher Batman films. They were all adaptations of the even older Batman comic series.

There are dozens of films of various Shakeshearean works. The new versions are not remakes of the older versions; they're all adaptations of the original plays.

Etc.

Compare to something like Seven Samurai and Magnificent Seven. Or the Swedish and American versions of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Or The 1968 and 1990 Night of the Living Dead. Or the 1960 and 2001 Oceans 11. Those are all remakes, with the newer films being made based on the prior films, not any earlier other medium.

The only time that there's any gray area is when a newer film is deliberately basing itself on a prior film adaptation and not the original source book/story/etc. For example, a new Snow White film is not automatically a remake of the old Disney cartoon, instead being separate adaptations of the original fairy tale. However, the upcoming live action Snow White film from Disney is specifically a remake of their older animated film.

Posts: 32528 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, looks like it might be well done.

Posts: 17170 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This drops Friday I believe. Looking forward to it!

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
New trailer.

On my phone so can't embed.

https://youtu.be/hf8EYbVxtCY

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spoiler-free, I thought it was really good.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Watched it and enjoyed it.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Was there even the slightest hint of early 21st Century Political Correctness? I am always on the lookout for this in modern war films, although this is a European production.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night. There could have been some P/C but I didn't notice it. Maybe I'm becoming normalized to that stuff. Overall, pretty good at telling the story.

In any case, I didn't see the earlier versions, just read the book decades ago and had forgotten the specifics other than it was dark and somewhat depressing. Like the movie would need to be to be true the history and the book.

One thing that seemed a bit strange to me and took away a bit, the actors all seemed to have a British accent, not German. Later when I quickly saw the names in the credits, they appear to all be German or Germanic names.

Otherwise it did get the point across that this was a terrible loss of life in the worst conditions that would end up for nothing. They also seemed to paint the German diplomats as the only decent guys in the room when they were a major cause of it starting in the first place.
Not to mention that everyone knows that the conditions to end it became a major reason the next one happened too (not part of the picture here).

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
One thing that seemed a bit strange to me and took away a bit, the actors all seemed to have a British accent, not German. Later when I quickly saw the names in the credits, they appear to all be German or Germanic names.

Sounds like you watched it with the dubbed British English audio track turned on, instead of the original German.

Yes, seriously. There are multiple audio tracks. You can click on the little speech bubble icon within the movie/show to pop out the menu to change audio languages, or on some platforms there's an Audio & Subtitles submenu available for a title before you start playing it.

It's a German production, made with German actors speaking German. So the original audio track is in German (as noted within the audio menu), with English subtitles available.