SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Gray Man book series
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Gray Man book series Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Isn't pretty much a given that book is always better than the movie?

I am not a reader so I don't get expectations but I thought the movie was fine and entertaining.

I'll let the book/movie critics dissect it as they wish. Eek

I think it is tough to take a beloved character from a long running series of books and make a good movie out of it. Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp is a good example; so was Jack Reacher (both great books but terrible terrible movies)…although the streaming series that just came out for Reacher was actually really well done.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree. Surprisingly to me, the first Reacher movie was quite good. The second one was horrifically bad. Tom Cruise somehow pulled it off enough that I've watched the first one numerous times.

Posts: 7478 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I remember watching Spenser For Hire back in the 80s, I really liked that show. Later, I read the Spenser series; while I read the series, Spenser was always Robert Urich and Hawk was Avery Brooks.

I remember reading that Parker thought that Urich did a good job, but that he was just too good looking for the Spenser role. He felt that Brooks had captured Hawk's part perfectly.

I have not watched Terminal List yet, I am waiting to see how Pratt does with the James Reece character.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
No idea about the background. Just a decent shoot’em up action movie to me. Seen better, seen worse.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I disagree. Surprisingly to me, the first Reacher movie was quite good. The second one was horrifically bad. Tom Cruise somehow pulled it off enough that I've watched the first one numerous times.

I agree. Having Robert Duvall in there helped.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Isn't pretty much a given that book is always better than the movie?

I am not a reader so I don't get expectations but I thought the movie was fine and entertaining.

I'll let the book/movie critics dissect it as they wish. Eek

Pretty much true that the book is better. There are a couple of exceptions I've run across but they're rare.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
It's like an amalgam of multiple plot lines from multiple shows. You can see stuff taken from other shows past all over it. Even lines and phrases.

As a production, it doesn't know what it wants to be. Could have been OK. Kinda stinky as is.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I had just put this in my watch list last night, then read this thread.
May still give it a watch, but haven't read the books.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just started the first book; have downloaded 2 more in preparation for cross-country flight tomorrow and quiet, secluded week after that.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

And Chris Evans had more than a few good one-liners in there. Wink

I actually thought Evans did a pretty good job in pulling off a psycho. While somewhat predictable, I thought his character was the best. And way off base of the good guy roles that he normally plays.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Evans' character reminded me too much of his previous bad-guy character, Lucas Lee (The second Evil Ex in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World).

I never read the novels but the movie was an amusing way to waste a couple hours.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
As a fan of the books... this is pure shit. I am an hour in and this is terrible.

More later.

You have to be kidding, Kevin. This movie was tons of fun, as long as you don't take it seriously, cause the movie sure didn't take itself seriously which is why it worked. I had a great time watching this.

I haven't read the books though, so there's that.

ETA: Andrew Klavan pretty much echoed my feelings.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just finished the first book; and I have to say it wasn't until about 3/4 through that I started to get it. That's when Court started becoming more "human".

I'll give it a break, then read another one.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post