SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The "New" Gibbs-Less NCIS: Not Too Bad!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "New" Gibbs-Less NCIS: Not Too Bad! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My wife and I have been watching NCIS for years now as she's a big fan but she noticed a big change in the past few years with Gibb's character. Not sure if Mark Harmon was just sick of it and was only staying on for the money, but he seemed to have evolved into a grumpy, bitter old man and it wasn't good for the show.

They brought in Gibbs's replacement Alden Parker, played by Gary Cole and we both wanted to hate him...but so far he's been pretty good! My wife even remarked that he reminds her of the old Gibbs with the joking and humor, all the things that seemed to be gone from the show lately with Harmon finally bailing.

I'm not sure if this will go on many more seasons as the entire cast has now been effectively replaced since the first seasons save for Timothy McGee and Jimmy Palmer but we are liking the new tone of the series and the new boss.

How about you all?

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm liking Gibbs' and Bishop's replacements. Now if Torres would quit being a whining crybaby.....life would be good.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I miss the original cast. I miss being young. You can’t recreate the original. NCIS or me.

The loss of the original show-runner is what changed the show. But, the storylines today are much less military and not as relational. Director Vance has a moment or two of meaningless dialog. ME Palmer is not a sage Ducky. The new dynamic duo is obviously the play for a new audience. Everyone else is vamping for screen time.

I enjoyed seeing Stepfanie Kramer tonight as a hologram. Pity she had to do all her acting in a chair. But, it was great to see her on screen again, after so many years away. Her FB posts are filled with everything positive, beautiful, and thoughtful. She is obviously a contented woman, and still looks youthful. Hunter should have been named Hunter and McCall, but she lost out back then for various reasons.

I guess I don’t like the formulaic approach. Gibbs leaves, and they replace him with a similar appearing person. Older, same hair color, and a flawed past life (FBI fired him). At least they let him have some technical knowledge, unlike Gibbs. But, the episodes are the same. Odd discovered death. NCIS springs into action. Etc. Tiresome.

I’m glad Wickersham is gone. Really glad. They tried way too hard to make her the starlet. No chance.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I miss the original cast. I miss being young. You can’t recreate the original. NCIS or me.

The loss of the original show-runner is what changed the show. But, the storylines today are much less military and not as relational. Director Vance has a moment or two of meaningless dialog. ME Palmer is not a sage Ducky. The new dynamic duo is obviously the play for a new audience. Everyone else is vamping for screen time.

I enjoyed seeing Stepfanie Kramer tonight as a hologram. Pity she had to do all her acting in a chair. But, it was great to see her on screen again, after so many years away. Her FB posts are filled with everything positive, beautiful, and thoughtful. She is obviously a contented woman, and still looks youthful. Hunter should have been named Hunter and McCall, but she lost out back then for various reasons.

I guess I don’t like the formulaic approach. Gibbs leaves, and they replace him with a similar appearing person. Older, same hair color, and a flawed past life (FBI fired him). At least they let him have some technical knowledge, unlike Gibbs. But, the episodes are the same. Odd discovered death. NCIS springs into action. Etc. Tiresome.

I’m glad Wickersham is gone. Really glad. They tried way too hard to make her the starlet. No chance.

I too noticed that the Director is barely in it anymore this season. I would not be at all surprised if they announce the show will be ending next year.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Elements that are missing…
1. A father-like colleague (Ducky)
2. Character idiosyncracies (Ducky telling obscure stories, Abbie being Abbie)
3. Intense and well-founded romance (Gibbs + Director Jenni, Tony + Ziva)
4. Story arcs that span a season or more (Ziva’s family — brother, father, etc.)
5. Mystery (who is the bad guy?)
6. Being a father to the younger (Gibbs to team)
7. Overcoming personal fears, growing into a better person
8. Characters at great personal risk, with the team driven to rescue the character
9. Renegade unit operations (team doing what is right, regardless of command)
10. Bad guy or guys trying to harm the USA
11. Team member sacrifice (Kate taking a bullet for Gibbs)
12. Secrets from the past (Gibbs taking out bad guys extra-legally)

I can’t think of any reason for the show changing other than the lack of the writers personal beliefs, concerns, backgrounds, and messages for humanity. The actors can only do what is given them.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I still watch it but it is not as good without Gibbs.
I have always like Gary Cole (Office Space = great) but it is still not the same without Harmon.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few of the new version (don't watch it on CBS live--do it with On-Demand) and it's OK. Unlike ggile, Torres is my favorite character now.

Of the NCIS genre, the Los Angeles venue is my favorite. I watched one episode of the new Hawai'i version and won't do more. It's a poor imitation of Hawai'i Five-O, and I'm just not into a female lead. (Yeah, I'm one of those.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have not kept up for the last couple of years and so am way behind.. really enjoyed the first couple of seasons even though I think it started down hill when Kate was killed.

the one continuous gripe and tale telling about the writers is when ever they recover a gun they check its 'registration'. I guess I'd like to know about this gun registration they keep checking.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have not kept up for the last couple of years and so am way behind.. really enjoyed the first couple of seasons even though I think it started down hill when Kate was killed.

the one continuous gripe and tale telling about the writers is when ever they recover a gun they check its 'registration'. I guess I'd like to know about this gun registration they keep checking.
You do realize the show takes place mostly in DC, don't you? I'm positive that there is gun registration there. In other places, the gun can at least be traced to the FFL that receives it for retail, and then the 4473 can be checked to see who initially bought it. (Very few guns are not traceable at least that far.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post