SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' (painting)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' (painting) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I love this painting. I could look at it for hours. I first saw it many years ago but never bothered to carefully research the artist. This short video covers it nicely.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
That was very interesting.Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A couple of things regarding Hopper's influences and, perhaps, his influence on others. At 12:28 in the video, a split screen is shown; on the left is what is considered the first film shot in the German Expressionist style, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari from 1920, and on the right, Hopper's "Night Shadows" from 1921. That Hopper sketch reminds me very much of a shot in Fritz Lang's 1931 film, M. Though probably coincidental (since Hopper was relatively obscure early in his career), I wonder if director Lang might possibly have seen "Night Shadows".

Night Shadows

Still frame from M

Also, at 12:40 the video shows a split screen, with the house on the hill in Hitchcock's Psycho and on the left, Hopper's 1925 "House by the Railroad". I can think of one other film maker who may have been influenced by this Hopper painting, and that is Terrence Malick, in his 1978 film Days of Heaven.

House by the Railroad

Still frame from Days of Heaven

Malick may have been influenced by Andrew Wyeth's "Christina's World" from 1948, but, though the theme of a lone house on the open prairie is there, the house is dissimilar.

Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Hopper's works. As a lifelong night owl, Nighthawks is one of my favorite paintings. I always wished I could jump into it and have a cup of coffee with everyone.

Exactly ten years ago this month, I drove cross country. I got to stop at the Art Institute of Chicago and see that sucker up close and personal. That was definitely a bucket list item I was lucky to check off.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Cool

Clearly, you are a man of refined tastes.

It's great to see you standing in front of it, since this gives scale to the painting. And, yes, I want to climb into that painting.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this. I think Edward Hopper is about my favorite artist, though I confess not knowing much about him personally.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Gottfried Helnwein did his reimagining of 'Nighthawks' in 1984 and titled it 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams'.

The print proved extremely popular. It's funny how many people recognize that poster yet don't realize its an homage to 'Nighthawks'. It's like how everyone listening to 'ILY (I love you baby)' by Surf Mesa, which is a big hit right now, doesn't know it's a cover of 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You' by Frankie Valli.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was first introduced to information on Nighthawks in the Harry Bosch mystery stories. It was introduced in one of the earlier books. The character in the series also had an attraction to viewing it. I've always found Edward Hopper's work interesting. The sparse or spare surroundings really make you focus on the people and items within - almost like a vignette within a larger canvas.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was fascinating. I have never been much of an art aficionado. I do appreciate the dedication, research, and practice he put into all things.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. He seems to have suffered for his art.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Gottfried Helnwein
Never heard of him. He needs to get his own ideas. That shit looks like a bad print you might see in a shopping mall "art store" hanging right next to the motivational posters. You know, the ones on creativeness, originality and integrity.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting video but sad.
His works are amazing.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
He seems to have suffered for his art.
All too common, unfortunately.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Gottfried Helnwein
Never heard of him. He needs to get his own ideas. That shit looks like a bad print you might see in a shopping mall "art store" hanging right next to the motivational posters. You know, the ones on creativeness, originality and integrity.

That's exactly where you find them, same place you find 3D illusion and photomosaic posters. They go on to decorate the walls of college dorm rooms across from Bob Marley posters.

For people in their teens to early 20s, Helnwein's print is considered high art.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. It's worse than I thought. Is that supposed to be James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley??

What a HACK!! That's nauseating.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm a Hopper fan and have seen the painting several times having been a member of the Art Institute years ago. They had a special exhibit quite a few years ago of Edward Hopper and Winslow Homer. Fascinating work.

Despite being in Chicago, the Art Institute is a treasure worth visiting.

Thanks for posting, boss.

ETA, I'm going to disagree with the narrator and say the eye is drawn to the right side of the painting by the stark value contrast. Nothing to do with color. It's all about the value to create a center of interest.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I think I had a black velvet paint by numbers kit for this.

Or it might have been 3 wolves howling at the moon. I don't recall anymore.

Smile

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Had a roommate in college. Fashion design major; knew where all the girls were … lol. He even talked me into getting a class. Genius. Regardless he was an artist at heart (still is).

Came home from school one day and saw him painting a picture of our front door and the archway that provided the entrance into our living room.

After talking with him for a few minutes he explained that he had studied Hopper heavily and was now applying that style to this painting.

Sure enough you can see the influence in the way the lines were drawn and the colors and shading we’re done.

Not much of a story other than to applaud the effort to actually study an artist, and learn by trying to replicate. Most current artists just seem to throw crap at the painting and hope it sticks.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
I very much like the art of Edward Hopper and Thomas Hart Benton. The video was most welcome.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Despite the friction, necessary soulmates it would seem.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post