SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' (painting)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' (painting) Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Very interesting dates!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
IIRC in one of the early Bosch books, his wife?,or they when they were together, bought that picture and it was something he cherished.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just noticed TCM is airing Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven (mentioned on the first page of this thread) at 4:00 AM Eastern. If you've not seen it, it's worth a look. The story, I can take or leave, but it's eye candy for sure.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday that was the Final Jeopardy answer! Category was 20th century artists, answer was "The wife of the artist described this painting as a cheap diner."

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Reviving what I consider to be interesting content.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Wait a minute. It's worse than I thought. Is that supposed to be James Dean, Humphrey Bogart, Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley??

What a HACK!! That's nauseating.

Many years ago, heard an interview with Lauren Bacall re: Bogey …
“He always considered himself a 19th century man.“

It was a reference to morality and accountability that he felt was missing in the 20th century.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting Para. Very interesting. I'd seen this in my feed, but dodged it for some reason. I'll be subscribing to that channel.

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep that painting 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' based on Hopper's reminds me of the one of the dogs playing poker...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The Accountant: “I like dogs playing poker. It’s incongruent. I like incongruency.”

Sorry … That immediately came to mind. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Para, not just for this particular study, but for introducing me to the series from which it originated. Smile

Posts: 839 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para, your interest in this Edward Hopper painting shows you have superb taste in art, as well as a very keen eye for nuance and detail. If you can find it on eBay or in used book stores (Powells Books in Chicago or Portland), the catalog from the 1988 Edward Hopper retrospective exhibition at the Art Institute of Chicago is really amazing. I remember this show because - interestingly enough - it was his seascapes that were most compelling. Boiling, churning, explosive waves in powerful mixtures of color - quite different from the feel of his more well known understated iconic works like "Nighthawks".

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I'm an ardent admirer of the man's work, and have several books on it and him. His sense of story and suggestion is every bit acute as his mesmerizing sense of light play...great stuff.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post