SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Grand Tour: Lochdown
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Grand Tour: Lochdown Login/Join 
posted
Cool July 30

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Wow, that looks good.

Taking mid-70s Lincoln Mk V, Riviera, and El Dorado through Scotland is just so unexpected. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm just about done with Clarkson's Farm, so I'm looking forward to this afterward.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Mongolia was great but this looks like it might be the best GT yet. That Buick makes me tingle a little but what is that other car Hammond is driving with the V tail and the massive spoiler?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
71-73 Riviera

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see it's a 2nd Riviera. Thanks-

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Verrry nice.

And they even brought Abbie along.

Posts: 184 | Registered: September 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this. I am pretty sure I have driven some of those roads shown in the trailer.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Thought it a Superbird… then rethought it.

This looks too funny, will be great if the boys are back to old form together.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Had a 74 Buick Century as a first car. Looked like that Riviera - a 2-door boat.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I was very pleased with the episode. Laughed a number of times. Not entirely sure I understand the ending. I can come up with 3 potential explanations.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I enjoyed it, some good laughs in it.

Didn't quite understand the short bit on the muscle cars though, seemed kind of tacked on.

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:

Didn't quite understand the short bit on the muscle cars though, seemed kind of tacked on.

I agree. Maybe added in postproduction reshoots because they were short on time(?) That, or it was a lame lead in to contrast a Scottish Manor house, Land Rovers, tweed and double barrel shotguns versus Hammond walking up in a trucker's cap with an AR for why American cars don't "fit in" over there.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Good but not great IMHO, but I may be jaded because Clarkson's Farm was excellent.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Good but not great IMHO, but I may be jaded because Clarkson's Farm was excellent.

I agree. While it is not the Top Gear folks, those who enjoy the "year in a life" farm shows there are a number of series, some of which are on Prime presently by 3 british experts, one historian 2 archaeologists, who live on a farm here or there for a year representing periods of English history that are very good watches as well, Edwardian Farm, Victorian Farm, Tudor Monastery farm and other shows that they did.

EDIT: The "Pizza Express to Tramps in 37 minutes" appears to have been a reference to Prince Andrew's claim not to have been at the club, Tramps, with the sex slave, dancing, but instead being at a Pizza Express.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChuckFinley,

posted Hide Post
What are the peas like?

Well, its a unit of peas...

It makes it a lot easier to eat, peas are so difficult to eat but, when you deep fry them like this...

It brings out the sweetness of the peas.

Big Grin

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:

But damn, that Mustang is a great looking car.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
^ I would't be surprised if that Shelby wasn't already Hammond's. I know he had a Mustang back in his Top Gear days. That might be it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
^ I would't be surprised if that Shelby wasn't already Hammond's. I know he had a Mustang back in his Top Gear days. That might be it.

Hamster has a blue 1968 Ford Mustang GT 390, if I recall correctly. He used a green 1971 Mustang Mach 1 for the Top Gear Patagonia episode. His wife has a 2016 Mustang convertible. My sister is huge Top Gear and Mustang fan so I differ to her knowledge.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I thought the ending a bit strange but after thinking about it I thought it was a subtle dig at the Chinese and their desire to rule the world by any means

That castle they stayed at looks simply awesome. Would love to stay there some day.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post