SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Grand Tour: Lochdown
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Grand Tour: Lochdown Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Great episode, some very scary moments..... Eek but I laughed several times for several minutes.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Were Hammond's struggles an homage to every Warren Miller film?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3431 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
going to watch it tonight

Posts: 53079 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I know it's the same old formula every time, but I love it. I can't get enough of these episodes. I hope these guys keep doing these specials forever.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it yesterday. Very pleasant, though obviously staged to a large degree. The mysterious tunnel's occupants and the downhill skiing event using the rather large "bobsled" could hardly have occurred spontaneously, and the later incident (if it happened as portrayed) might have had deadly consequences. Still, the tour was fun and I'd recommend it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
My wife and I watched it yesterday. Very pleasant, though obviously staged to a large degree. The mysterious tunnel's occupants and the downhill skiing event using the rather large "bobsled" could hardly have occurred spontaneously, and the later incident (if it happened as portrayed) might have had deadly consequences. Still, the tour was fun and I'd recommend it.

Part of this show and the previous TG show specials, was the producers taking advantage of situations as they presented and creating an environment that allowed the Three to fill-out a scene. They did reality television without all the producing and processing that the big networks created. Besides being quite comfortable with each other, they all know their character's role and naturally play-it-up to an absurd level. Clarkson is the over-bearing buffoon, May is the fastidious pseudo-intellectual, and Hammond is the enthusiastic but, naive simpleton.

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was awesome. I'm still skeptical how the repaired the Evo to be road worthy. There can't be a lot of spare Mitsubishi parts in Sweden.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It was fun, though completely unbelievable.

Posts: 21046 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
That was awesome. I'm still skeptical how the repaired the Evo to be road worthy. There can't be a lot of spare Mitsubishi parts in Sweden.

Mitsubishi used to be a major player in the Rally Race circuit at one time with their Lancer. While not as big as their Japanese counterpart Suburu, parts availability for an EVO shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 14554 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Thoroughly enjoyed as always! Wishing them many more episodes for our entertainment.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
finally got a chance to watch it and in addition to the photography which is always stunning, there really were some truly funny segments

I wish them continued success but this was a really good episode

Posts: 53079 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started it yesterday & got to the tunnel speed test.
Eek
Attempted to watch at the office, Prime blocks streaming via VPN it seems. Just getting an error when trying to resume.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prime blocks streaming via VPN

yep, Amazon does the same when behind a VPN and trying to order...

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Prime blocks streaming via VPN

yep, Amazon does the same when behind a VPN and trying to order...

We order stuff almost daily on the same network, & VPN offsite, without issue, but on a Business Prime acct.
No go with the Video though.

Posts: 15139 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Got it to work, a few genuine laugh out loud moments.
That poo Evo, would've been my choice of the 3.

May got put through the ringer.
The downhill 'skiing' was pretty hilarious.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!

Post Scandi-Flick conversation between May and Hammond:

And to hold us over until the until the next Grand Tour:

Hammond Makes May a Gin & Tonic:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The banter these guys can generate and maintain is the stuff of legend. I can only imagine what its like to be around when the cameras are off.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It was a good run

https://www.carscoops.com/2023...d-may-call-it-quits/

quote:
Just days after the BBC announced that it would be putting the television show Top Gear on hiatus, its former hosts are leaving their very own program. Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May have decided to stop filming Amazon’s The Grand Tour.

Any readers hoping that the trio that brought Top Gear to international prominence in the 2000s and 2010s may be disappointed, though. Clarkson said that he’s done reviewing cars on film.

“We’re done. I have reviewed cars on TV since 1989. That’s 34 years,” the 63-year-old presenter told The Times. “And after next year, I won’t be doing that anymore.”

Viewers will have at least one more opportunity to watch the trio on The Grand Tour. The announcement that they are leaving the show comes shortly after they returned from Zimbabwe to film a special that is set to air next year.

Fans of The Grand Tour may also be relieved to hear that new incarnations of the show are being explored by Amazon, according to Fozia Khan, Amazon’s head of unscripted programs in the U.K. told Deadline. Meanwhile, Clarkson will continue to appear on the streaming service as Clarkson’s Farm has been renewed for a fourth season.

His (former) co-hosts also have other TV gigs to fall back on. James May’s Our Man In… series sees him traveling the world, while Richard Hammond’s Workshop covers the host’s vehicle restoration business on Discovery+.

The trio first collaborated in 2003 when May joined the cast of BBC’s Top Gear. The show enjoyed immense popularity until 2015 when Clarkson was dismissed due to an incident involving the assault of a producer during a filming session. Hammond and May chose to exit the show in solidarity with Clarkson. Shortly afterward, they embarked on the creation of The Grand Tour, a program that retained many elements of their previous show with only slight modifications to its format.

The new program was one of Amazon’s best performing original series upon its launch. However, much like BBC’s new Top Gear, it has struggled to recapture the viewership and energy of the earlier iteration of the series that concluded in 2015.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Well that’s disappointing but not unexpected.

They’ve done enough. But I’m going to miss the photography of some really awesome exotic locations.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm going to miss it for sure, but it had to end sometime.

In the meantime, glad to hear that the trio is still continuing with their other projects.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post