SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    LoTR series coming to Amazon Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LoTR series coming to Amazon Prime Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Hopefully it will be as epic as Game of Thrones. I didn't even know/remember this had been announced back in 2017, but according to this article, Amazon is starting to ramp up for it.

quote:
When Amazon Prime Video announced its Lord of the Rings prequel series back in 2017, news about what the expansive TV universe would include was scarce. And we had so many questions: Will there be Hobbits? Galadriel? Ian McKellen? Will Peter Jackson be involved?

The streaming service has since hired writers, is now scouting locations, and even activated social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for the show, which published a provocative and beautifully rendered map of Middle-earth, the fictional realm in which J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings novel takes place...

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
If they choose to redo LOTR, theyll be in for a shitstorm of people hating on it. If they try to do other stories in the Tolkien world, i think theyll have a hard time garnering a wider audience to lesser known stories, and theyd better stick to the books or the literature fans will revolt.

With several people and sites having pegged this as having Game of Thrones potential, i also really hope they dont try to sexualize LOTR. The extended Battle of Five Armies was the only rated R film, but since amazon wont have to “rate” it, i guess it could go either way with all content.

For now, im as hesitant for this as i was for the Wotcher series, whoch continually looks more and more disappointing.

I am excited for the Tolkien movie though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
i also really hope they dont try to sexualize LOTR

Two reasons I think they won't: Dwarves and Hobbits

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they choose to redo LOTR, theyll be in for a shitstorm of people hating on it. If they try to do other stories in the Tolkien world, i think theyll have a hard time garnering a wider audience to lesser known stories, and theyd better stick to the books or the literature fans will revolt.

They already announced that it will be set in the Second Age, during Sauron's initial rise to power, prior to the destruction of Numenor.

That's a few hundred years before Sauron's (temporary) defeat during the War of the Last Alliance and his loss of The Ring, and a little over 3000 years before the events of the Hobbit and LotR trilogy.

So it's not a remake. And it's not an immediate prequel.

They'll have the extensive backstory on the Second Age from the novels and Tolkien's notes to draw upon, but it won't be a direct book adaptation.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
i also really hope they dont try to sexualize LOTR.

But there is such potential for cross promotion with Frodo Lay products.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2385 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Here is some more info - it also has the map Amazon released. I think it has potential... The twitter page has a lot of theories that it may deal with the forging of the rings of power, the Downfall, and the founding of Gondor and Arnor. That seems like a lot to cover, but hmm...

Amazon’s ‘Lord of the Rings’ TV Show Confirms Second Age of Middle Earth and Númenor Setting

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3917 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
i also really hope they dont try to sexualize LOTR

Two reasons I think they won't: Dwarves and Hobbits

She-Elves.

Are.

Hawt.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear this. I was afraid they'd overlap with the recently Silver Screened time/characters.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they are on the right track to me, certainly is enough material for multi season series. Now to find enough folks to make it profitable.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post