SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Angel Obregon homecoming scene from director George Stevens' film Giant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Angel Obregon homecoming scene from director George Stevens' film Giant Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This evening, TCM is playing George Stevens' film Giant.

From a director who served.

Substandard audio in this clip

From Wikipedia:
quote:
During World War II, Stevens joined the U.S. Army Signal Corps and headed a film unit from 1943 to 1946, under General Eisenhower. His unit shot footage documenting D-Day—including the only Allied European Front color film of the war—the liberation of Paris and the meeting of American and Soviet forces at the Elbe River, as well as horrific scenes from the Duben labor camp and the Dachau concentration camp. Stevens also helped prepare the Duben and Dachau footage and other material for presentation during the Nuremberg Trials. In 2008, his footage was entered into the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as an "essential visual record" of World War II.

One result of his World War II experiences was that his subsequent films became more dramatic. The motion picture I Remember Mama from 1948 was the last movie that he made with comic scenes. He was responsible for such classic films as A Place in the Sun, Shane, The Diary of Anne Frank, Giant and The Greatest Story Ever Told. He ended his directing career with the 1970 film The Only Game in Town with Warren Beatty and Elizabeth Taylor. In the same year, he was head of the jury at the 20th Berlin International Film Festival. In 1973 he was a member of the jury at the 8th Moscow International Film Festival.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed viewing Giant sometime back. Elizabeth Taylor in her prime and a crazy James Dean. West Texas is beautiful in its own way.

In relation to the above post, you probably already know Hitchcock was commissioned to make a film about the concentration camps. If I recall correctly it was too powerful to be released until years later. I have seen parts of the film and it clearly shows the civilian population knew what was going on as well as many others.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sal Mineo.
One of my favorite movies of all time.

Funny thing, I got interested in Giant because of a Levi's commercial I saw as a kid. My dad after watching the commercial, casually mentioned they ripped off the idea from Giant. Neighborhood video rentals were kicking into high-gear so, when asked which movie I wanted, I said 'Giant', all because of this commercial, hooked ever since.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Watched it again last week on TCM. Huge fan of that movie.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post