SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Banshees of Inisherin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Banshees of Inisherin Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
We saw this today. I loved The Guard. This one is a bit different. Much darker.

Anyone else seen it yet?

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not yet , but planning on it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to that, thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
we saw it this afternoon. “Black Comedy” is an accurate description. I haven’t decided how I feel about it yet, the acting was outstanding, the cinematography was stunning. I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone from going to see it. I will say that I think a script built around the Irish Civil War, that takes place in the distant background would be a great place to build a movie script. I’m trying hard to get inside the head of Brendon Gleeson’s character; his motivation eludes me.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following comment contains spoilers.

Saw it yesterday. It is not as comedy as presented in the trailer for the film. It is a tragedy about people who have very little except what fools God has found for them. The story is quite bitter and tragic. It is even a bit horrific considering that one character harms himself to make a point.

It is not unreasonable to compare the events in the foreground, the fight between the two main characters, to the fight going on in the background: The Irish Civil War. The self-loathing Irish nearly destroyed themselves freeing themselves from British rule. They are still working it out.

The film is a study in the psychology of victimhood. It is not easy to watch, but it is a "terrible beauty," to allude to Yeats.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check this one out, eventually. In Bruges is a favorite of mine.

Posts: 2152 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night on HBO MAX

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The comedy is very dark and had me LOL, at times I thought to my self that I shouldn't be laughing at that.. The scenery and cinematography were amazing

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wife and i watched this over the weekend.

One of the weirder movies we’ve watched but so well acted by everyone we couldn’t stop.

Even the animals acted their parts well.

And i agree about the laughing part only to realize, I probably shouldn’t be laughing at that.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Some amusing parts at first, but it got way too dark for me. Not a "fun" movie at all and in many ways it reminded me of "In Burges." Coincidence that Farrell and Gleeson were teamed in that black "comedy"? Neh, but it was 14 years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Is it weird that I didn’t really care about the main characters at all and only wished that the sister would end up happily married or something? What a bleak place for a nice, attractive, young single woman.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It was no In Bruges and I was pretty disappointed. There were some great scenes though. The Priest in the confessional was all time great but the movie as a whole, nah. They got these two guys back together so I expected more. Disappointed but it was better than watching a SuperHo film.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Yes, Kerry Condon is quite fetching. You might also recognize her as Mike Ermintrout's daughter-in-law from Better Call Saul or as one of Ray Donovan's love interests.

I didn't realize it until mentioned earlier in the thread, but it's an allegory for the Irish Civil War.
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Is it weird that I didn’t really care about the main characters at all and only wished that the sister would end up happily married or something? What a bleak place for a nice, attractive, young single woman.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
It didn't do anything for me. 9 Academy Award nominations? Beautiful scenery. It makes you think what life would be like for you if you lived in a barren island as this. It just didn't hit any high marks on my radar and then it just..ended...leaving you with questions about them. I cant figure out, 9 Academy Award nominations??

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Some amusing parts at first, but it got way too dark for me. Not a "fun" movie at all

This for us as well. I felt like I needed to watch it again, but it was not at all what I expected and even with that better framing going in, suspect it would still be too dark coupled with just being sadly inexplicable no matter how many times I watch it. So not going to.

If one or both of the main characters had ended up being clinically insane, it would have been less disturbing and puzzling.

I've recommended it to a couple people this is a good fit for, but with the caveat that it gets darks fast, and never really resolves.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post