New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Destroyer Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Does anyone read the book series based around the life and times of Remo Williams? I have all of the books up to around #125; they have been in print since the early 70's with the first installment having been initially written in the mid 60's and published in 1969, IIRC.

A great series chock full of satire and parody of the current events of the times, and a world apart from Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. In fact, Chiun the Magnificent derides that piece of fiction as less than worthless.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Does anyone read the book series based around the life and times of Remo Williams? I have all of the books up to around #125; they have been in print since the early 70's with the first installment having been initially written in the mid 60's and published in 1969, IIRC.

A great series chock full of satire and parody of the current events of the times, and a world apart from Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. In fact, Chiun the Magnificent derides that piece of fiction as less than worthless.

Sinanju, the sun source of all martial arts. Having been interested in Martial Arts since Black Belt Theater on Saturday afternoons, followed by Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Caine in "Kung Fu", I have read most of the The Destroyer series. Along with the Ninja series, the Aikido Detective series, etc.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Saw the movie....does that count?

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
Saw the movie....does that count?

It is a good intro, but believe it or not, falls short of the book series. There are a LOT of historical references that the authors intertwine with the history of the Masters of Sinanju, the greatest assassins to have ever walked the earth. The deaths of Hitler, Amelia Earhart, Alexander the Great, Bruce Lee, just to name a very few. The perfect assassination bears no resemblance to an assassination, but appears as an accident, suicide, or natural death.

The series is very entertaining and touches constantly, if obliquely, on unlocked human ability theories. The "woman lifts car off trapped child" kind. The books imply that humans can operate at 100% of their potential with the right genes and training in mastering the art of Sinanju. Which not every pale piece of pigs ear can come close to doing; so sayeth Chiun, Master of Sinanju.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I read them from the first publishing as well. Enjoyed them a lot. Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir were politically incorrect even in the 70's.

I understand that Warren Murphy was the screenwriter for the Clint Eastwood movie "The Eiger Sanction", one of my favorites.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I read a number of Reno Williams books and ended up greatly disappointed all around by the movie and that the adventure that began but never continued to really allow exploration of the character. Fred Ward did a decent job in a pre-Tremors role, but the biggest publicity the movie got was the controversial decision to cast Joel Gray as an Asian master rather than an actor of actual Asian descent.

Personally, I enjoyed the Nick Carter - Killmaster books, too, but they were pure pulp. They originated in the 60s as Condé Nast’s answer to Remo. Written by a group of ghostwriting authors who rarely coordinated among themselves after the first few books, it was pretty funny to read the frequently contradictory details and backstories.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2106 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen the movie a few times, but I've only read one story, The Day Remo Died, I think it was called. It was described as a reboot-but-not-really. It's been a while since I've read it, so I can't really remember what I read. I keep meaning to read that series, though.

As a kid, I was more into the Executioner series by Don Pendelton, IIRC.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a Destroyer tv series created. Special effects/CGI are advanced enough now to make Remo's exploits and abilities look plausible and impossible at the same time. Remo's ability to dodge bullets (which is actually to not be where the bullets are when they get to where he was when the trigger was pulled) is one of the many extraordinary abilities Master's of Sinanju are capable of.

And yes, Murphy and Sapir were ahead of their time in recognizing social issues of the time being exactly what they were and immersing them in satire mingled with facts.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I DEVOURED the books in the 70's. Had no idea they were still in print. I'll have to check that out.

The movie was a huge disappointment to me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I DEVOURED the books in the 70's. Had no idea they were still in print. I'll have to check that out.

The movie was a huge disappointment to me.

I got as far as the late 120’s before I lost interest; I found that later authors paled in comparison to Murphy and Sapir.

I liked the movie a lot but less so after working my way through the book series. The movie just scratches the surface of the real story.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I would love to see a Destroyer tv series created. Special effects/CGI are advanced enough now to make Remo's exploits and abilities look plausible and impossible at the same time. Remo's ability to dodge bullets (which is actually to not be where the bullets are when they get to where he was when the trigger was pulled) is one of the many extraordinary abilities Master's of Sinanju are capable of.

FWIW, there was an attempt at a series based on the movie. As far as I know, they only made a pilot.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGeLXmN4ps

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I think modern CGI could make Remo and do some seemingly amazing things; if they did the series to mirror the books, I think this time it could take off.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
What? No mention about all the movies and stories having to do with Ip Man? Many of the films are foreign language but some are quite good.

Ip Man is the Grandmaster who trained Bruce Lee. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The White Crane method of Bruce Lee approaches Sinanju...the way a candle approaches the sun!
So spaketh Chiun, Little Master.

posted Hide Post
I loved the Destroyer series and have all the books up to #147. The movie was not terrible. I think the casting of Joel Gray was to have someone who looked old but could stay flexible for sequels, alas.

I agree now they could do a great job with CGI BUT they would never stay true. Look at Jason Bourne or casting Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Now if you had never read a Jack Reacher book you would not criticize Cruise but as a huge Reacher fan well . . . The first Mitch Rapp movie was not bad but again the character did not match the book at all even though he did a good job. I remember when they let Mickey Spillane play Mike Hammer. As a huge Mickey Spillane fan I liked it a lot more than it deserved.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
My dad had a box full. I have a number of them somewhere around here. I'll have to dig them out.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post