New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Out Login/Join 
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted
Wasn't really looking forward to this movie when I saw the trailers, but my daughter wanted to see it, so we went and saw it last night night. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. It's not going to win any awards, but it made me jump a couple of times and made me laugh several times.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gimmejr
posted Hide Post
Some idiot on the radio called it a horror/comedy, why it did have a comic relief character with a few lines and a couple scares it really is a psychological thriller. A lot better then Keanu.

-------------------------

Oderint Dum Metuant

Posts: 1506 | Registered: December 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw it last night. I really liked it. It was well written and acted. Even if it wasn't I'd give it some props just for being original, which is sadly uncommon these days.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
It was good.

It made me uncomfortable in a way that few movies are able to do. Thumbs up.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Really good f'ing movie. After 134 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, it is still at 100% fresh.

Go so this.

No spoilers in this review: http://www.startribune.com/exq...ror-drama/414629283/

To add -

It is the directing and writing debut of Jordan Peele (from the Key and Peele comedy bits).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I didn't care for this. It was a little too long - it felt like an overblown Twilight Zone episode (or a Black Mirror episode, which star Daniel Kaluuya did appear in!).

One problem I have with these suspense-type of stories is that the protagonist always has to act and react like a "normal" regular person would, to give the audience someone to relate to. I rarely find these types of characters interesting to watch, and I don't care about their fate. I preferred Lil Rel's comic-relief TSA agent character and wished he was the protagonist instead, but "the movie rules" state that those characters are always relegated to the sidelines. I relate more to characters that are edgy and quirky and off-beat.

Slight spoilers ahead:

The suspense-build was well-done, but when they hit the plot-reveal, it was kind of a letdown, which happens a lot with these types of stories. And, since I was raised on '70s and '80s horror films, I was ready for a super-intense bloody and violent climax, but that never materialized. It's the type of film where the "regular" protagonist never properly finishes off attacking an antagonist, so the antagonist can pop-up again later.

Or, the fact that the guy removed the cotton from his ears - why would he think he wouldn't need it later? That's like the guys in movies that are shot and then immediately remove their bulletproof vest because they somehow know they won't be shot at later.

Overall, I wished I had skipped this in the theater, but I have to wonder if it would've held my attention if I was watching it on the small screen.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, the fact that the guy removed the cotton from his ears

This was the one thing that really stood out to me as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The following comment is a spoiler.

So much suspense over a spoon and a tea cup. It was scarier than the big-box-store Remington 700 that appeared out of nowhere later.

The director presumed that rich white people have hunting rifles squirreled away somewhere. So much for Chekhov's gun.

Also, the whole running gag about TSA, it stopped being funny pretty fast.

And: If the filmmakers are saying that black people have more to fear from white liberals than white, racist, peckerheads, then, yes, congratulations, you have a gotten a clue.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post