SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RIP Roman Gabriel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Roman Gabriel Login/Join 
Picture of drew3630
posted
I just learned that Roman Gabriel has died. Some of you old time football fans may remember him as a long time QB of the LA Rams. He was the first Filipino NFL football player and was MVP in 1969. I remember him as a tough, hard nosed old school football player. RIP
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/a...l-was-mvp-rcna148723

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember vaguely remember him. I was about 10 but a Packers and not a Rams fan. My dad loved the guy. Big and tough. 83 years old was a good run. I hope his final years were good.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I remember him. He was my childhood hero. Loved the Rams. Rosie Greer, Merlin and the crew. Fearsome foursome. My dad was a John Brodie fan Smile It was a long time ago. God Speed Roman.

Thanks for the heads up.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19255 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites when I was a young lad.

Posts: 3472 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
At one time he lived on our street (I was a kid).

Needless to say, QBs were not paid as well then as they are now. Wink

Great guy from I saw and still have an autographed pic (now in a frame and on my home office wall).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
He was the first quarterback I pretended to be as a kid when playing football. Man, I sure wish I still had all those football cards we used to have as kids.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I knew that name was familiar. Once I opened the thread he came back to me.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38724 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a kid I was more a Vikings fan than a follower of the 49ers or Rams. I guess that even back then the hate for Cali was blooming. Big Grin

As a youngling I remember Roman Gabriel mostly as a "football star" and from TV commercials. And as a Ram. Don't rightly remember much at all from his later career with the Eagles. I sort of recall that he was on the cover of one of the Sports Illustrated mags that I had in my collection of various publications that I collected when I was growing up. Beyond that he was just another sports celebrity that I didn't pay a lot of attention to back then. Nevertheless, R.I.P. Mr. Gabriel.

-MG

Posts: 2016 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I remember he played the character "Blue Boy" in the John Wayne Rock Hudson movie the Undefeated.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3931 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I remember him as the RAM QB, never knew him as "Filipino", never cared back then as a kid when life was simpler.

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed watching him play football, and I especially enjoyed him playing mostly Nati e American characters in cinema. Rest in peace, big man.

Posts: 405 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post