SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Seinfeld - Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seinfeld - Netflix Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I like the Seinfeld series and watch it when nothing else is on, or just watch it. But, I do not see any humor in those opening stand up monologues he does before each show. I wonder if it isn't a secret trademark of the show opening of a humorless monologue and then you laugh your butt off watching the actual show? I don't get it. So i'll have to settle for 'Serenity now!"
The opening monologues stopped at like Season 3 or 4.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I like the Seinfeld series and watch it when nothing else is on, or just watch it. But, I do not see any humor in those opening stand up monologues he does before each show. I wonder if it isn't a secret trademark of the show opening of a humorless monologue and then you laugh your butt off watching the actual show? I don't get it. So i'll have to settle for 'Serenity now!"

Same here. I never cared for the guy's stand up. I just don't find him funny at all. The show, on the other hand, is one of my favorites.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
You will quote “Seinfeldisms” for LIFE. I do to this day…

Yes, nearly every day something will happen that reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
You will quote “Seinfeldisms” for LIFE. I do to this day…

Yes, nearly every day something will happen that reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

So many times I've looked at broccoli and said "Vile Weed!"
From my favorite episode, and I really like broccoli.
I have most of them recorded on VHS w/ time references and descriptions written diligently in a notebook somewhere, probably to be never watched again as no players are hooked up (or maybe can even be hooked up).

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Someone posted the clip of a game of Risk being played on the subway that was interrupted by a Ukrainian. Big Grin It was hilarious! That made me wonder if the series was worth watching. Now having seen this thread I am thinking it is worth trying out.

That was me. I instantly thought of that scene when the Ukranian issue started. That entire episode is hilarious. If you know everything that led up to the scene on the subway makes it even funnier. I hesitated posting it in that thread because some serious discussion was going on. It never got commented on so it's nice someone got a kick out of it.

A friend of mine and myself often get into quoting Seinfeldisism's as we are both huge fans. A third friend who never watched a episode just gets pissed because he has no idea what we are going on about.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sixteen year old daughter and I have been watching it and saw the “Ukranian” episode a couple nights ago. That was just so eerie.

My daughter commented that Jerry talks to everyone like they’re an idiot. I said, you know, I think you’re right, I never really thought about that when it was originally aired.

The slapstick comedy of Michael Richards as Kramer is the funniest on television of all time, IMO.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5160 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:

My daughter commented that Jerry talks to everyone like they’re an idiot. I said, you know, I think you’re right, I never really thought about that when it was originally aired.

That's half the point, these are four of the most horrible people you could ever possibly meet. Wink

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:

That's half the point, these are four of the most horrible people you could ever possibly meet. Wink

I have said to my wife many times, I would never want these people to be my friends. They are horrible people.

But the show is still funny.
Smile

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:

I have said to my wife many times, I would never want these people to be my friends. They are horrible people.

But the show is still funny.
Smile

Indeed.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They belong in jail!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
The funniest seasons are 5-8! You will LOVE those if you thought the first four were funny.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]The opening monologues stopped at like Season 3 or 4.[/QUOTE]

Just watched an episode in season 5 (the manzier) and he still did the opening monologue. Haven't seen one that didn't include the opening stand up. Maybe there's some playback channels that cut that part out. I watched on Amazon Prime.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Just watched an episode in season 5 (the manzier) and he still did the opening monologue. Haven't seen one that didn't include the opening stand up. Maybe there's some playback channels that cut that part out. I watched on Amazon Prime.

On rare occasions I'll see a monologue or even a bit in the body of the show that I know I haven't seen before. I think there must be some editing of the show, maybe on a local basis. Who knows how long any individual show might be available but yeah, each episode is not chiseled in granite.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I bing watched the first couple of years a few weeks ago and it is fun. I will suggest that once you are done with this then go to Seinfeld's comedians in cars getting coffee.... It is absolute top of the line.... later on probably episode 70 or so he actually goes out of charter and cusses and they have to bleep out the name of who ever he is talking about... I wish I could figure out who this was.

There is another one where he and some comedian are talking and Jerry says you can't make a joke about the holocaust and the other guy actually tells one that I think is one of the funnest jokes I've ever heard... but then my wife disagrees.

Supposedly it’s Bobcat Goldthwiat or however you spell it. A long time ago Bobcat talked a lot of shit about Seinfeld’s comedy sucking and even more so tried to make a big deal out of Jerry’s penchant for dating 16-17 year olds for a long time (in states where it was legal). Even though Bobcat dated women in the same age range around the same time.
That’s what the internet said anyway lol

Posts: 267 | Registered: November 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
quote:
quote:

They belong in jail!

Ha. Wait till the final episodes !

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in college when this was one. Funny then and hilarious now on repeats

If you think it’s funny check out “Curb your enthusiasm” with Larry David on HBO. He was Seinfeld’s comedy writing partner and the Costanza character is loosely based on Larry David. Plus is HBO so it can be a bit raunchier.

The quotes. I still say seinfeldisms all the time. And when somebody gets it they get it and it’s like the secret club. Kinda glad they went out on top and didn’t stick around for the money and then have quality suffer as sometimes happens with a great show

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe members of this forum still give their money to Netflix.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Why is this. I like Seinfeld and a lot of the other content on Netflix.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

My daughter commented that Jerry talks to everyone like they’re an idiot.

The actual Jerry is like that, too. He does think most people are idiots, and he isn't wrong.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why is this. I like Seinfeld and a lot of the other content on Netflix.
If you give your money to Netflix, here's what you're supporting

Barack and Michelle Obama sign film, series production agreement with Netflix

And that's just for starters.

Do you support the Second Amendment? Love your country? Believe in the Constitution and the rule of law? Do you oppose globalism and our society's ignorant, privileged elites?

Well Netflix doesn't

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post