Find
Notify
Tools

Cobra Kai Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
You have to embrace the soap opera-esque aspect of the show to enjoy it.

You just happen to run into your ex in Okinawa and the girl you saved just happens to be an exec at the company you need help from, etc.

Mass break in and karate brawl in your house, and no cops, no charges, etc.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
You have to embrace the soap opera-esque aspect of the show to enjoy it.

Mass break in and karate brawl in your house, and no cops, no charges, etc.

No significant (life threatening/altering) injuries associated with the brawl, even with one of the attackers using nunchuks? Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season 3 is more than a little over the top. They blew right by that. Still, my wife and I enjoy it so we'll keep watching...

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I finished binging just about all interests from Amazon Prime. When getting down to watching Sasquach and Alien paranormal stuff I knew that I was really bored so I finally caved and bought season 2 and resumed binging. It's all the things described here in the comments. I still find it interesting going thru time watching the main characters age and personalities fluctuate. I still enjoy it and likely purchase season 3. I was hoping that eventually Amazon would put it in for free but it's too popular, and I'm getting older waiting myself.

I'm even eyeing the Kung Fu series with Carradine next.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's free on Netflix.

Posts: 10803 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I really liked season 1 and 2. Season 3 is even more over the top.

I enjoyed 1 & 2. Season 3 was just too cheesy/corny, uncomfortably so. And when you thought it couldn't get worse, it did.

I had just canceled my Netflix account with the plan to start it up again in 6-8 months. But on the evening of the last day my account would be active, I started watching season 3. With no way to finish it that night, I reactivated it for another month. Man was that a mistake.

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Another season out. Have not watched yet.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm a couple of episodes into season 4. Still watching.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17242 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I know I’m not the first to say this, but Daniel LaRusso brings much of his own issues on himself. Starting with the first movie.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12301 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Sure, it’s cheesy, but they manage to show many things from a different perspective.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I just finished season 4, it’s just a fun show. I liked the Def Leppard at the end of the last episode.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I enjoyed it. And definitely less (outrageously) over the top as in the past season, and which was appreciated. My wife and I continue to enjoy the show.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I’ve decided it’s now pretty bad and near cringe worthy at times, but it’s still okay to watch it. Now the worse it gets the better it is as they laughably revisit and reintroduce every possible plot line and character from the past.

Whenever I think they’re out of places to go and the series is done, they veer off. “Oh I see where they’re going…. again. Oh no, him too. lol”

It’s okay, just laugh and try to enjoy. I keep commenting “damn these gotta be the best 3-4 karate teachers in the world! These kids been training for three weeks and they’re kicking everyone’s ass!” Big Grin

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season 4 writing was predictable, I knew which kids were going to win before episode one was done haha. They really built up the tournament just to blow through it in the last two episodes.
William Zabka really makes the show though. Miyagi rolling in his grave with all the problems Daniel has, can’t stand his kids. They need a good ass whooping as my dad would say.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well I sure thought Season 4 was gonna be it…

And I agree with cas…you get black belt master skills in 3 easy lessons. Yeah…that dog don’t hunt. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
3 lessons....no way!! The only way you get to be a black belt in movies or tv is with a montage...

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Well I sure thought Season 4 was gonna be it…

And I agree with cas…you get black belt master skills in 3 easy lessons. Yeah…that dog don’t hunt. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
The only way you get to be a black belt in movies or tv is with a montage...

Even Rocky had a montage!
(Montage!)

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 642 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I’ve decided it’s now pretty bad and near cringe worthy at times, but it’s still okay to watch it. Now the worse it gets the better it is as they laughably revisit and reintroduce every possible plot line and character from the past.

Whenever I think they’re out of places to go and the series is done, they veer off. “Oh I see where they’re going…. again. Oh no, him too. lol”

I just finished watching S4. Cobra Kai is playing big time fan service, but they've made it work a lot better than say, the Star Wars new trilogy did. A lot of it has to do w/ the writers acknowledging how ridiculous the karate war is. My favorite line is this exchange between Daniel and his wife.

"Another one. Seriously Daniel? Are there any other Cobra Kais from your past who are going to come out of the woodwork and destroy our lives?"

"No... Well, I can't say that for sure."

"Oh my god."

The writers have been dropping big time hints, and everything is set up for Mike Barnes to return in S5. There's serious speculation Hilary Swank will return, b/c her character is part of the Miyagi-verse.

CK has completely turned into a soap opera. The fights have become some of the least interesting parts of the show to me. It's all about 'getting the band back together' now. They need to bring to back Vidal from KK1. He should have been a sensei w/ a dojo at the All Valley tournament. Hopefully the writers will find a place for him in S5.

Another funny thing is how the four seasons have only covered about 1.5 years in the show's timeline. Most of the kids are looking too old to play 16-17 year olds. Daniel's son Anthony went from being about 9 to 13 in 1.5 years.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
...Mike Barnes to return in S5.
WHO????
quote:
...Hilary Swank will return...
WHAT????
quote:
...Vidal from KK1.
WHO????

I have ZERO clue who these characters are...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I have ZERO clue who these characters are...

You're not up on your KK canon. The short answers are:

Mike Barnes - tournament mercenary whom Daniel has to fight to defend his All Valley title in KK3

Hilary Swank - she played protagonist Julie Pierce in The Next Karate Kid.

Darryl Vidal - minor background character w/ no lines from KK1 who competed in the All Valley tournament. He faced off against Johnny in the semifinals. In real life, Vidal was the only actor in KK1 w/ extensive karate experience. He also doubled for Pat Morita in some of Mr Miyagi's fight scenes.

You can read more at: https://thekaratekid.fandom.co.../The_Karate_Kid_Wiki

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post