SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A classical interlude
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A classical interlude Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Remember Barry Lyndon? Kubrick was great at picking music for his films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52IMaE-3As

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Remember Barry Lyndon?

I do. It was nice to be reminded of the music.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
I've never seen the film but that is a lovely piece of music. Thanks for sharing it.

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard this before, what movie was it in? It’s fantastic.

I’ve never seen “Barry Lyndon”..so it must have been in something else….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The Schubert piece is very well known and has undoubtedly been used in other movies, but I can't think of another one.

Y'all really need to watch Barry Lyndon. You won't be sorry: It's one the most beautiful films ever made.

Kubrick managed to get a f0.7 (!) lens from Zeiss that they had developed for NASA. He was able to shoot scenes using only candle light. Not too shabby for 1975.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
That was excellent! Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not the only film to use Classical music as the major theme. Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings" was the only background music during "Platoon", and was extremely effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRCubAtPiKg

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/1f7874ZUJpA?t=66

Start at 0:54

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I've seen the film but had forgotten that.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There was another movie that I just couldn't recall that was really bothering me.

Finally got it: The Hunger, a Tony Scot vampire film from 1983. It's a decent horror flick with Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, and Susan Sarandon. Scot uses the trio in several places, including over the closing credits.

Nice flick to watch for Halloween.