SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
First blush is that it's pretty dang good. I've only played a bit, but the atmosphere and mechanics are on.

BF1? Has a lot of good features, but then there is the sliding and dancing, and other things that break the "world" of the game. the COD games? Meh. I'm not interested in the new COD:WWII, because I enjoyed the original.

It's been a long time coming for a proper multiplayer on Vietnam, and it seems like this one might be a good one, if not THE one.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Just riding around in the back of a Huey.

Hanging with my pals, everything is fine!

Everything was not fine.

And then I too was shot, spawning in behind my own corpse, where that door gunner was.

It's like a gritty reboot of Quantum Leap.

But for realsies, it's a fantastic game. A little more arcadey than Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm, but fairly understandable since everyone has a machine gun. But, as Arc said, there's no stupid dancing or sliding, no bunny hopping, getting shot hurts. Getting shot in the face and you feel nussink, just blackness. No cluttered HUD like you're an ADD-addled teenage space marine. Just you and your M16's iron sights centered on Victor Charles' black PJs.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
And, the M14 is cutting edge technology!

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Steam only? I hope it doesn't turn out to be a sniperfest.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I am all but assuming that class limits are built-in, like every other Tripwire shooter to precede it. But on the flip side of the coin, it may very well be possible to zip some with irons on a rifle several hundred yards out, just like the other games they've made. I wouldn't expect it to be a sniperfest, but I would expect to die a lot.

Posts: 17112 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

I am all but assuming that class limits are built-in, like every other Tripwire shooter to precede it. But on the flip side of the coin, it may very well be possible to zip some with irons on a rifle several hundred yards out, just like the other games they've made. I wouldn't expect it to be a sniperfest, but I would expect to die a lot.

That's about the long and short of it. Snipers are generally limited to two per side, go with some practice it's not impossible to land some headshots with open sights especially with the Mosin Nagant and SKS rifles. There's also been some complaints of sniping with shotguns but again the shotguns are limited to the scouts on the NVA team, and point men on the US side.

Last night I was getting drilled by filthy campers hiding in the bushes, popping up out of their tunnel spawns. It was very satisfying to figure out where they were coming from sneak around and then dumped 20 rounds into the back of their heads.

It does have more of the run-and-gun feel to it than previous Tripwire titles but I think that has more to do with the setting than anything. It's still not nearly as run-and-gun as Battlefield or Call of Duty, despite complaints made by fans of previous games in the series.

quote:

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Open Beta is up, looks like official release is the 30th so y'all still got time to try it out, and get a super sweet deal before it goes to full price.

quote: