SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Brady House renovation, HGTV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brady House renovation, HGTV Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Saw the first episode. Second airs tomorrow. Seems like they are doing a good job.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Any idea what they're going to do with it once it's completed?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Any idea what they're going to do with it once it's completed?

I heard something about renting it for short-stay tourism visitors who want to stay in an iconic TV home. Yes, I know it was just the exterior on the TV show with interiors shot on a sound stage, but the house is being reno’ed to look like the TV show interior.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been waiting for it to start.
I watch HGTV some evenings if I get time. I have the ATT Watch TV app and need to figure out how to use the OnDemand part of the app.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Marcia Brady was hot.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Marcia Brady was hot.

Still is! Big Grin

I liked the first episode too. I went and saw the house in March when I was in LA. It was a weekend, and no construction was going on. There were some temporary barriers in the front lawn. Anyway, I don't think the neighbors will like all the traffic. It's very much a residential street. I still can't believe the housing prices in California. That house is not that large or remarkable, and before the hype and bidding war, it listed for $1.8M.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Marcia Brady was hot.
Had her on a flight once about 4 years ago. Still had that cute smile...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The Bradys were astonished with the end results & the Renovations amazing. I too thought the neighbors would not be happy with the increased traffic. I suspect it will only get worse with time. HGTV should get some pretty good ratings out of this to help them recoup their investment in the house & project.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Watched the first episode and think the idea of the show is likely the best ever HGTV has had.
I am surprised that most of the Brady’s had never seen even the exterior of the house in person.

I am curious what the budget for the whole show was. Pretty big even watching it OnDemand there are commercials and you can’t fast forward through them.

And the big whopping question will the sliver of the backyard that is left after the addition he Astro turf????

————————————————

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's pretty cool and I'm sure they will make ALL their money back once that becomes a tourist destination. I'd love to sit in the Brady kitchen or walk up those iconic steps!

If you ask me this was a brilliant move on HGTV's part to grab this house like they did.

Everyone is capitalizing on the kids of the 70's and 80's now if you haven't noticed, because those "kids" have the money now!

My grandmother had an orange Formica kitchen in her house in Avalon, NJ and I have good memories of it.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's pretty cool and I'm sure they will make ALL their money back once that becomes a tourist destination. I'd love to sit in the Brady kitchen or walk up those iconic steps!

If you ask me this was a brilliant move on HGTV's part to grab this house like they did.

Everyone is capitalizing on the kids of the 70's and 80's now if you haven't noticed, because those "kids" have the money now!

My grandmother had an orange Formica kitchen in her house in Avalon, NJ and I have good memories of it.

My Grandfather retired from Formica and during the 80s and 90s if Formica made a product it was in my grandparents house or our house.
The coolest was my grandfather built us these huge loft bunk beds with desks and storage every panel was a different color Formica. They were awesome.

————————————————

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
This house is going cost a FORTUNE when done.
Interesting project though.
Everything is all-Brady, I saw an episode of Chopped with the Brady kids, also an episode of Gas Monkey Garage (Fast and Loud) where they did a souped up Brady station wagon for Greg Brady I mean Barry Williams.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've never watched HGTV and don't know anything about the premise of it. Honestly only clicked on the thread to read about the old Brady home we used to watch on TV as kids.

Reading some of the comments approving of this remodel I can't help thinking that there are other old homes in Hollywood that we watched on TV that might be fun to watch get remodeled. I would've first suggested Robin's Nest, the Robin Master's estate that Magnum and Higgins lived in, but apparently that was recently bull-dozed over. Maybe the Cunningham's home from Happy Days or the Walton family home?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Anyone notice one thing different from the original stairs (on the set) when they were kids and the recreated stairs (in the real house) when they are adults?

It's subtle but it's there. They explained it in the HGTV show.

Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
There is one less step in the real house. They had to do that to keep the same angle.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
There is one less step in the real house. They had to do that to keep the same angle.

Yes!

They had to add a second story to this house that actually never had a second story and the angle would have changed for a 12th step and I think it would have spoiled the look.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup. Had to keep the angle on the staircase and I COMPLETELY agree. I know this has to be emotional for the "kids" seeing how Robert, Florence, and Ann aren't alive to witness this and enjoy it with them. It's hard to believe the original show was on for only 5 seasons!! I guess with the follow-up movies and shows, it seemed longer.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post