SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Oh fuck why did I have to click that link. They are out of barrel strength. I will periodically Check this. If it works out to less than $100 shipped I might get one.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
If ya want to split shipping from over seas count me in :-) wine searcher shows no sftb blantons available in the UK. I was dumb and shoulda grabbed one with my other but i just got a gold.... lol. Need to try the gold still.

Edit oh what the heck. Not worth the 50 extra bucks plus shipping but its a collector. And damn tastey.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Hey Deglyn,

Is that a Glencairn cut crystal glass in the pic? If not, where did you get it. Nice!

Boy, you guys must make a lot of money if you can afford the BTAC collection, overseas whisk(e)y, and guns/ammo. As an "old man", I'm cutting back on my USPSA/IPSC shooting (was going to get an "Open Carry" pistol) and just having fun RO'ing and shooting Steel Challenge. Spending all the money I save on expensive "juice" now. Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Now I have to go out and shovel snow . . . Mad

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ha! actually those are waterford crystal. Was an xmas gift! But it helps to not have kids! I told the wife I would be spending a years worth of whiskey in a 4 months stretch so she's expecting me to not buy any for awhile Smile If you havent noticed I havent bought much guns or ammo in a year so I have just been balancing my hobbies. I did have a good 4th quarter so that helps.

Im in cool down mode right now before I get yelled at. Just yesterday I passed the test and went to the liquor store and only bought a bottle of wine. Passed on the cask strength makers as I bought a 375ml and crushed it Friday with friends. THey said they have gobs of it so I passed.

link to glasses
http://www.crystalclassics.com...lismore/40003431.htm

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I have a Glencarin glass but I almost always use the little spherical Mason Jars instead.

It's Bourbon, and Rye, and my pinkie doesn't stick out either. Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I have a Glencarin glass but I almost always use the little spherical Mason Jars instead.

It's Bourbon, and Rye, and my pinkie doesn't stick out either. Smile

Haha! U can see my daily drinker to the left there. Like in this pic below but double old fashion glass. I just use the tumblr for first time tastings.

Pinky down and a straw right? Razz

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ha! actually those are waterford crystal. Was an xmas gift!

link to glasses

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Waterford Lismore tasting glasses - they're about the same $$$ as the Glencairn cut crystal glasses. But we already have a lot of Lismore Waterford decanters and snifters, so these will fit right in (heh, heh). There's also a set of four (4) glasses which includes the footed tasting glass, a non-footed tasting glass, a straight-sided old fashioned glass and a "roly-poly" old fashioned glass. Big Grin

I think I've left enough hints around for SWMBO to find them -- my birthday is coming up in MAY! And I think she has spent enough already on the grandbabies (with a new one coming in June!) Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeeTen:
quote:
Ha! actually those are waterford crystal. Was an xmas gift!

link to glasses

Thanks for the "heads up" on the Waterford Lismore tasting glasses - they're about the same $$$ as the Glencairn cut crystal glasses. But we already have a lot of Lismore Waterford decanters and snifters, so these will fit right in (heh, heh). There's also a set of four (4) glasses which includes the footed tasting glass, a non-footed tasting glass, a straight-sided old fashioned glass and a "roly-poly" old fashioned glass. Big Grin

I think I've left enough hints around for SWMBO to find them -- my birthday is coming up in MAY! And I think she has spent enough already on the grandbabies (with a new one coming in June!) Wink

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

valentines day 2 weeks!

i bought the duck set above since i was annoyed with drinking an old fashion in a double old fashion glass half full, lol.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
anybody spotted the release of ECBP yet?

also this article explains my bourbon evolution exactly...

quote:
Evolution of a Bourbon DrinkerPosted in Posts By Blake On October 30, 2014
Bourbon — As You Like It
Last month in Whisky Advocate Jonny McCormick wrote an article which was his whisky adaption of William Shakespeare’s “As You Like It”. If you haven’t read McCormick’s “Whisky – As You Like it” it’s well worth the time. Below is a quote from McCormick’s article.

This is a celebration of the whisky life. William Shakespeare’s monologue from As You Like It compares the journey of life with a play acted out upon the stage. We recognize that each of us pass through different, ever-changing phases in our relationship with whisky. Through the highs and lows of life, it is a fantastic journey to embark on. Here we explore the behaviors, motivations, and emotions at every stage.

I decided to take this a step further and depict the life and evolution of a bourbon drinker.

Evolution of a Bourbon Drinker
evolution of bourbon drinker

Scrounging – This is the genesis of bourbon, or whiskey, drinking because you don’t yet know that there’s a difference between the two. You’re drinking a lot of Evan Williams Green Label and Jack Daniels. You probably mixed one part bourbon with 3 parts coke in a red solo cup. You order “Irish Whiskey” as a drink. Not Jameson or Bushmills, just Irish Whiskey.

Fake Fancy – You’re still mixing with a handful of ice and half a can of coke but now you’re a little more big time and grab a bottle of Maker’s Mark and Crown Royal (yes, Crown is Canadian whiskey but you don’t know that yet) whenever you walk in to your neighborhood liquor store. In your mind you’ve reached the pinnacle and bourbon doesn’t get any better than this, right? This can be one of the most important phases in a bourbon drinker’s life. If you’re not careful you can get stuck eternally stuck in this phase and you’ll be drinking Maker’s and coke and taking fireball shots straight from the bottle the rest of your adult life. No one deserves this.

Rocks Era – You’ve figured out that bourbon has plenty of flavors of its own and can be served without a mixer. The proof still poses a problem so you throw a few cubes of ice to make it more manageable. This is a big transition in the evolution of a bourbon drinker once it becomes more about the bourbon and not the effects of alcohol. You build your palate in this phase and probably note the subtle notes of vanilla and toffee. Towards the end of this period you begin to make better bourbon decisions as well.

The Come Up – You start to read reviews before buying. You probably grab a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and Elijah Craig if you’re smart. You may even jot some tasting notes down. You even started following all of the major distilleries on Twitter. Things are starting to look up.

Weaning – Ice begins to water down the bourbon too much so you try just adding a little bit of water to your glass. At first the taste is too strong but after a few days you’ve become accustomed and even begin to enjoy that burn.

It’s All Neat – You’re drinking your bourbon neat and loving it. You feel a little bit of pride when you order your bourbon at the bar and have to clarify to the bartender that you want it neat. You write your tasting notes on all of the new bourbons your try and compare them with others.

New Connoisseur – Now that you’re a bourbon pro you join every bourbon group on Facebook, bourbon forum and throw disapproving looks towards the guy at the bar ordering a Jack and Coke. You finally figure out what SW, OFBB, ECBP and FRSmBLE stand for. You recently purchased your first bottle of Pappy Van Winkle and made it the centerpiece of your dining room. The biggest revelation of this stage in your bourbon evolution is barrel programs. For almost the same price as Four Roses single barrel you can purchase a barrel proof Four Roses single barrel that your local store selected. Private barrelings (especially, Four Roses and Smooth Ambler) are manna from the Bourbon gods.

The Obsession – The fall hunt becomes a true test of will and determination as you scour the city looking for lotteries to enter and try to figure out shipping patterns of distributors. The guest bedroom at your house has been converted to a bourbon bunker and the favorites on your phone consist of your spouse, mom, 2 bourbon buddies and 5 liquor stores. While you recognize this as an addiction you note that the root of the addiction is the “hunt” not the alcohol and that makes you feel better.

Bourbon Life Beyond the Hype – This is the stage when a drinker begins to realize that not every special release or limited edition is worth the price. You skip on ultra-aged and fancy backstories. You’ve learned to embrace bottles like Four Roses small batch and Buffalo Trace for their excellent taste as well as their price and availability. The hunting is not as hard because if you get skunked you’re still sipping on bottles 2011 George T. Stagg that you bought off of the shelf in 2011. You may even decide to trade one of the Staggs for basically any new release you choose.

True Bourbonr – This is the sweet spot for bourbon drinkers. You contribute useful information to bourbon forums and to new comers you talk with at the bar. You trade bottles with other bourbonr’s and have expanded your palate by tasting lots of different bourbons. You can pick out a wheated bourbon in a blind tasting lineup. There are bourbons in you cabinet from several years of fall releases.

OG – The OG’s of bourbon are guys that purchased Pappy Van Winkle that was sitting on a shelf at retail. You saw certain fall releases go to clearance rack in liquor stores. When there’s a debate of whether or not a Weller Antique or Old Fitzgerald is Stitzel-Weller you comment with certainty and the drop the mic and walk away.

Where do you fit in the bourbon evolution?

http://bourbonr.com/blog/evolution-bourbon-drinker/

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I picked up an ECBP release 10 138.8 proof. I still have last year's release in the bourbon bunker so it will not get opened for a while. I think I'm going to open last year's release tonight.

I got my bottle last week.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I picked up an ECBP release 10 138.8 proof. I still have last year's release in the bourbon bunker so it will not get opened for a while. I think I'm going to open last year's release tonight.

Been looking hard for ECBP....no dice down here. Frown

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TX2KS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
quote:

Been looking hard for ECBP....no dice down here. Frown

Agreed - Never seen it on the shelf in Tx.

Posts: 468 | Location: TX | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a Barrel proof, 2 18s & 1 23yr Elija Craig in the last month or so. That was in NC. I think a lot of bottles are just reaching the shelf.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: May 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I got a call that release 10 of the ECBP arrived, but I have 4 bottles of release 9, so I passed despite the fact I think it's one of the best values out there.

They also lowered the price on Knob Creek Single Barrel from $48 to $36, and because it is so highly thought of here, I picked one up. Had my first pour and wasn't impressed. Sometimes I prefer them after the seal has been cracked for a while, so we'll see if I like it better the second time. Better that I remember regular Knob Creek being, but that's about all I can say for it so far.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Old Weller Antique (OWA) came in yesterday and a 750ml bottle followed me home last night for $21.99 O-T-D. 107 proof (no burn), sweet cinnamon and spice on the nose and palate, but medium length on the finish. Well worth the $$$, however. Me likee! Big Grin

Gonna' try a blind taste test this weekend with the OWA and my 1/2 gone bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve (WLWSR, 90 proof, $29.99). Bourbon geeks have their own "secret" code, ya' know (heh, heh)! Roll Eyes

JMHO,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I got a call that release 10 of the ECBP arrived, but I have 4 bottles of release 9, so I passed despite the fact I think it's one of the best values out there.

They also lowered the price on Knob Creek Single Barrel from $48 to $36, and because it is so highly thought of here, I picked one up. Had my first pour and wasn't impressed. Sometimes I prefer them after the seal has been cracked for a while, so we'll see if I like it better the second time. Better that I remember regular Knob Creek being, but that's about all I can say for it so far.

I think whiskey is better after it aerate some benefit more than others. Elijah Craig is one I think baby Saz gets ten times better after a few weeks. I drink enough to get the top layer of whiskey in the fattest part of the bottle maximizing the amount of surface area in constant with the air.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think whiskey is better after it aerate some benefit more than others. Elijah Craig is one I think baby Saz gets ten times better after a few weeks. I drink enough to get the top layer of whiskey in the fattest part of the bottle maximizing the amount of surface area in constant with the air.

Or I can dump my bottle of Baby Saz into a spare Waterford ship's decanter to maximize the aeration surface area, no? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old Weller Antique (OWA) came in yesterday and a 750ml bottle followed me home last night for $21.99 O-T-D. 107 proof (no burn), sweet cinnamon and spice on the nose and palate, but medium length on the finish. Well worth the $$$, however. Me likee! Big Grin

Gonna' try a blind taste test this weekend with the OWA and my 1/2 gone bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve (WLWSR, 90 proof, $29.99). Bourbon geeks have their own "secret" code, ya' know (heh, heh)! Roll Eyes

JMHO,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I'd like to hear the results of your test. The OWA 107 is my favorite Weller, excluding the BTAC WLW, which I have not tried. I was disappointed in the Weller 12, but it blends with the 107 pretty nicely.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or I can dump my bottle of Baby Saz into a spare Waterford ship's decanter to maximize the aeration surface area, no? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Or just open it. Leave it open. Close it in 5 mins then shake the shit out of it :-)

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

Or just open it. Leave it open. Close it in 5 mins then shake the shit out of it :-)

OK, I can do that, too! Razz

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!