SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Eating History
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating History Login/Join 
posted
HISTORY's new unscripted series "Eating History" follows vintage food expert Old Smokey and collector Josh Macuga, two friends, on a quest to uncover, unbox and eat the oldest, most nostalgic, and shocking foods to have survived history. They take viewers back in time to find foods believed to have been lost to the past, and with every bite they discover which eats have conquered time, revealing forgotten eras and the stories they hold as they explore history through old food.

Tidbits of history thrown in. Eating a tootsie roll of Korean War vintage. True story of marines plugging holes in their fuel tanks with tootsie rolls to keep them going. Frozen Chosin for those familiar with the Korean War. Also a story of Horn and Hardart restaurants with their Automats.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ate history. It was called C-Rations.
Ham and Mothers! Frown

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would have enjoyed them opening a fruitcake ration can from 1950. You know the one with the key on the side. Haha

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You would have enjoyed them opening a fruitcake ration can from 1950. You know the one with the key on the side. Haha

I'm old enough to remember those cans of sardines that had that winder key in the side. After the oil from the sardines sloshes out from trying to wind the can with that key, it was like trying to hold a wet soap bar and slipped out of my hands on an occasion. I got my but tanned because of the oil staining the hard terrazzo floor when it hit! Razz

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Tried to watch but it sucks. They are trying to sell it as a history of food but it's mostly two morons eating nasty old shit.

You aren't learning anything eating 100 year old cod liver oil.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree on most counts. They are morons. The tidbits of history are what interest me. It is certainly not high brow television.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I ate history. It was called C-Rations.
Ham and Mothers! Frown

Don't forget Beans with Franks and Spaghetti with something that looked like little meat balls..

We always went for the cigarettes and toilet paper first.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
You ain't been hangry until you ate Ham and Eggs, Chopped, on purpose.

But I liked mixing the canned peaches with the canned Pound Cake in the Canteen Cup.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I miss the real History Channel, it's the Tuesday Channel now. All this reality bullshit, gas. That's how I'll deal with it when I'm in power, round all these shitbags up, and gas them.

I just want to see a show about big battleships, or life on the frontier. Maybe late at night you can have some of the more goofy stuff, conspiracies and such, and holidays can have specials too. But no more "reality" shows.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to see a show about big battleships, or life on the frontier

^^^^^^
Me too. You tube has some of that. Victory at sea comes to mind.

Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Seems like they stole the idea from Steve1989MREInfo on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/ZVOIgPrDH7E

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
I just want to see a show about big battleships, or life on the frontier

^^^^^^
Me too. You tube has some of that. Victory at sea comes to mind.

I like this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

He's basically an 18th century reenactor who has gotten super serious about it and does well-done videos about stuff like building a log cabin or dugout canoe with 18th century tools and methods (both of which he actually does, from start to finish, he doesn't just talk about them), cooking 18th century recipes (going back somewhat to the subject of the thread - he does a lot of these and they're very interesting), and various life-in-the-18th-century topics.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have the Smithsonian Channel and its pretty good.

Aerial America
Air Warriors
Pacific War in Color
World of Weapons
Spy Wars

Theres only ONE reason to watch History channel now...

Series on
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I miss the real History Channel, it's the Tuesday Channel now. All this reality bullshit, gas. That's how I'll deal with it when I'm in power, round all these shitbags up, and gas them.

I just want to see a show about big battleships, or life on the frontier. Maybe late at night you can have some of the more goofy stuff, conspiracies and such, and holidays can have specials too. But no more "reality" shows.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been watching Josh Gates on Discovery. He does quite a bit of historical stuff. And hunts for Bigfoot too. He doesnt take himself too seriously, unlike some of the others.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post