SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Adding RCA inputs to amplifier
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adding RCA inputs to amplifier Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
My vintage amp has the typical RCA inputs, Aux, Phono and Tape. I would like the option of adding the ability to use a digital storage device, bluetooth and perhaps a Sirius receiver.

I know it's pretty easy to just add a device with the extra RCA inputs and run it to the Aux input. There are tons of options on Amazon but I'd like to make sure I buy a decent device both for audio quality and durability (I'm a buy one, cry once kind of guy)

So what options are out there for a quality device?

Posts: 11226 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You would need to use the AUX or Tape IN and not the Phono.
I guess it depends on what source and what you need to amplify.

Possibilities are:
* connecting to computer - hard wired (usually a 3.5mm stereo cable to dual RCA)
* MP3 Player - hard wired
* Stream from phone (Bluetooth to RCA converter required).

A simple Bluetooth converter can be as cheap as $25 or $30.
There was a thread on this in the past
It would require a source ~ typically a phone or laptop.

Could answer further with more info.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
You would need to use the AUX or Tape IN and not the Phono.
This ^^^^^

Since you've multiple digital sources, what you're looking for is a digital-to-analog converter that has multiple digital inputs and a single set of analog (RCA) outputs.

As for identifying a "quality device": You pays your nickel and you takes your chances. You're probably going to end up with C³ (Cheap Chinese Crap) no matter what. One imagines there really isn't a very big market for such things. So it's mainly going to be people that make and sell such things very cheaply. I'd look for a device as I describe above that has a number of ratings and rates well.

I looked around on Amazon a bit last night. Found two or three of them. One of them even had Bluetooth, IIRC.

I ran out of digital inputs on our vintage Yamaha receiver. Bought an inexpensive optical digital switch. It's been in place for a year or so and, so far, continues to work well.

If nothing else: Amazon usually has a pretty good return policy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Since you've multiple digital sources, what you're looking for is a digital-to-analog converter that has multiple digital inputs and a single set of analog (RCA) outputs.

You need to do more than just convert D to A.
You need to process the data first.
Example: just plugging in a flash drive to a D/A - nothing will happen.

In my garage I have an AIO computer that a customer didn't want.
I refurbished and then connect an USB D/A (Dragonfly Red) then connect (3.5mm stereo ~ RCA) to my old garage receiver.
The USB D/A isn't necessary but I had one laying around so I used it and the sound is better than built into the computer.
From there I can stream from my Local NAS, Internet Music Sources (Qobuz, Tidal, Amazon Music but mostly Qobuz as it is Hi Res Audio) or amplify streaming TV.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Depending on the quality of digital sound required, your middleman could very well be just a small footprint PC. Their DACs are decent.

I have a NUC. It has wired NIC and Wifi built in. Also has BT. You could probably wire it to the AUX inputs and network attach a NAS. I did.

Just upgraded my vintage Yamaha to a new one with HDMI.

Not familiar with Sirius.

Tuner and CD are also valid inputs.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, my old Yamaha is wired to my old desktop PC as the CD player and to one of my laptops as Tuner. It is wifi connected to the NAS too. DUH!

0-0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0-0,

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You'll need your source - some kind of hard drive device, and then a DAC (digital audio convertor) to change the digital signal from the storage device into an analog signal for your pre-amp and amp. There are dozens or hundreds of DACs out there of varying prices and quality.

I have an older FiiO DAC (that also is a little headphone amp) to use with my phone and better headphones. It now feeds powered speakers on my desk with my PC has the storage device. FiiO makes many DACs, just as one example.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
This Yamaha WXC-50 seems to meet your requirements.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ That Yamaha unit looks pretty versatile. Cool
You still need to power speakers and a source but certainly an interesting device.
Kind of an expensive route but nice, nevertheless.

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
This seems to meet your requirements.

That would do all I want and more

Too bad I lost my wholesale source for Yamaha. Have to see what kind of price I can find on one

Posts: 11226 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post