SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Did Vanna White ever have a real job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Vanna White ever have a real job? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
What I mean is, was there a time in Wheel of Fortune's distant past when she actually had to physically turn the letters?

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Letters..? What letters? Smile

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes she did.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm only 36 & I can remember her physically turning the letters.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Working a game show for 30+ years isn't a "real job?" She for damned sure got paid more than most of us. Seems pretty real to me.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18017 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes she turned letters. Back in the day a great prize was a matching washer and dryer or if the gal was lucky an Amana refrigerator demonstrated by Betty White.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
^^^ And you spent your winnings on overpriced stuff.

Posts: 4980 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
She makes $10 million a year apparently, "working" 4 days a month taping six shows per day. It's amazing that stupid show brings in enough advertising money to pay her that for standing there. Pat Sajak makes $15 million. Incredible.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G-Man:
Pat Sajak makes $15 million. Incredible.

What's incredible is that he's my neighbor. Literally lives about 10 minutes away from me. Of course, his is a very well-to-do gated community with deep water river access. Mine is not.

If I was making $15M/yr. and could live anywhere, overcrowded central Maryland wouldn't be it. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice place to live in many ways, but not if I had that kind of money.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16259 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best letter turner / puncher on TV I.m.o.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54487 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
As a teenaged boy in the 1980s, I had zero interest in the actual game show, but for some reason didn't complain if Mom & Dad had this one on.

So, if her "job" was to enhance advertising revenue: She aced it, and deserves every dime she ever made.

And, yeah... she turned the letters.

Posts: 2449 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there's something in her contract requiring her to maintain a certain weight. She always looks trim and fit. I've never seen her in the same outfit. Most are stylish although someone plain, so I suppose they could be rotated through every couple of months and no one would notice. If they do 6 shows in a session, do her and Sajak make a wardrobe change for each?

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I recall her starring in several movies back when I was in high school so like late 1980s into the early 1990s.

Posts: 33574 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Think that's bad. There's a professional gamer : Tyler "Ninja" Blevins that's worth like $40 Million.

He plays video games for a living people!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder if there's something in her contract requiring her to maintain a certain weight. She always looks trim and fit. I've never seen her in the same outfit. Most are stylish although someone plain, so I suppose they could be rotated through every couple of months and no one would notice. If they do 6 shows in a session, do her and Sajak make a wardrobe change for each?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Typically the show or the network choses and pays for the wardrobe. Part of the contract.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oldie but goodie of Vanna White and Al Bundy. Enjoy and God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Was in NO in the mid 90's with some coworkers at a seminar. Saw a crowd in the street so we went over to check it out, it was Vanna and Pat talking to the crowd. Next thing I knew a couple guys asked us if we wanted to be in a commercial for their upcoming show. They took us up on a balcony and we taped a promo for their upcoming shows in NO. They were both very nice.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The answer is: Not Really. She went from high school to modeling to The Price Is Right to Wheel of Fortune.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The answer is: Not Really. She went from high school to modeling to The Price Is Right to Wheel of Fortune.

While non of those are hard labor or a 9-5 job, one could argue it's work none the less. Sell yourself, keep yourself clean and attractive, learn lines and keep looking over your shoulder for the up and comers, don't piss of the bosses, make the audience love you. Not things every person can do.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

I've seen something where they said she's never worn the same thing twice. I'm sure it's a great showcase for the designers.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post