SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Do any of y'all remember Tennessee Ernie Ford?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any of y'all remember Tennessee Ernie Ford? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Check this out:

(I'd hit that barefoot one. Jes' sayin')

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Why did you get so picky?

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Old Man was a big fan of Tennessee Ernie. I have 16 tons on my playlist as a tribute to him.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16062 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Ran into him in a bar in Dallas - Ft. Worth Airport the very first day it was open. There were a lot of bugs/issues that were in play and resulted in a fair amount of chaos. His comment, with a wry grin,: “Isn’t this about the damndest thing you ever saw?” Seemed like a really nice guy.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Great video. I remember when he guest-starred on I Love Lucy. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16304 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. He was pea pickin' good!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Great video. I remember when he guest-starred on I Love Lucy. Smile

Me too!

In one episode he said to Desi and Lucy, “I gota go out and find some sunshine so I don’t get fish belly white like y’all.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8924 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The old pea picker. I was a teenager, when he came out with 16 Tons. The demand for that record was incredible. Trying to find a store carrying it was like looking for a cheap box of 9mm ammo today. I remember one downtown record store had a huge sign in the window, "We have it. Sixteen Tons by Tennesee Ernie Ford". I have never seen such demand for a record before or since.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned here before that when I was young, I confused Tennessee Ernie Ford with Tennessee Williams and I would watch Hee Haw and go tell my family, "Hey, the guy who wrote all those plays is on Hee-Haw!"

Posts: 107464 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Another version

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have a jacket that’s damn near identical to the one that Tennessee Ernie is wearing in Flash-LB’s post. I bought it about 40 years ago. It’s still in great condition, but I only wear it occasionally.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8924 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah I remember him well. 16 Tons may have been my first ear worm. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Great song and every time I hear it I'm reminded of the summer job I had in high school ... packing peaches on a truck.. 3/4 bushel boxes.. for 18 hours a day... more like 40 tons...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A very talented group.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Why did you get so picky?
OK, ya win. I MIGHT hit the chubby one with that strange base thingie after a couple of bourbons, but not the guys (not that there's anything wrong with that). Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post