SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    60's movies audio recording question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

60's movies audio recording question Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Bedazzled the movie popped up on my recommended Youtube feed. I didn't realize the Elizabeth Hurley version was a remake.

So I'm sitting here watching it and I've always wondered why the dialogue from this time frame sounds like it was recorded in a studio. Did they shoot the film and then have the actors redo their lines in a recording studio? Or anybody know what's up with the sound of the dialogue?

Here's a link to the movie in questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cCUvGfvbDM

Posts: 11169 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they shoot the film and then have the actors redo their lines in a recording studio?

I thought that they did that with every film. That's why they have problems when an actor croaks before they've recorded the actual soundtrack.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Dubbing in dialog post production is a very common practice in film making. A number of reasons- the vocal quality is better studio recorded, the film set is difficult to make silent due to crew, street noises, actors too far away from microphones, etc.

And then there are the foley artists, who are experts at re-creating all ambient sounds like footsteps, car crashes, fights, etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's called ADR or "Looping". I was reading about a western TV series from the 1960s where they had to studio re-record all their dialogue for all the exterior location scenes.
Common practice back then.
Looks like it's still pretty common!

https://blog.frame.io/2018/06/...0picture%20playback.)

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Orson Welles looped sound on most of his films. Drives me crazy, because it's not subtle at all. Very distracting.

Sometimes it's necessary because the sound recorded during filming is inadequate in some way- excessive noise on location, or the dialogue might not be understood clearly. Sometimes- and I think this was the case with Welles- they didn't bother to even try to record sound during filming. I imagine Welles considered it a money-saving technique, as well as allowing him to control the quality of the audio much better.

Here's an example of post-production looped dialogue in Welles' The Lady From Shanghai, 1947. I've always felt this technique detracts from his films.

Admittedly, the acoustics of the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco where that scene was filmed were likely quite poor for audio recording- all that glass reflects sound and this is a place where looping dialogue makes sense, but Welles did this habitually.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
All the Sergio Leon movies were this way.... I don't think he even tried to record audio while filming.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here's an example of post-production looped dialogue in Welles' The Lady From Shanghai, 1947. I've always felt this technique detracts from his films.

Does this mean that he had his actors do their lines a second time in a studio and then try to match the recording up to what was happening on the screen?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Does this mean that he had his actors do their lines a second time in a studio and then try to match the recording up to what was happening on the screen?

Pretty much. And this post production audio work has been fairly common for a long time.

Here is a an example of a film that used post production dialog (or ADR, dubbing, etc) 100%. According to producers, it was impossible to have a quiet set.

Here is an explanation of ADR:

And here is Walter Murch's explanation on why Brando's dialog was dubbed in post production for The Godfather.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post