SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Drove by Hemingway's home so I thought I would read one of his books.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drove by Hemingway's home so I thought I would read one of his books. Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
A week ago we were on Key West and saw Ernest Hemingway's home. Pretty nice. I'd never picked up one of his books so I grabbed "A Farewell to Arms" and proceeded to read it over the last week.

Now I've read 500 books over the last 8 years since retirement and I have to say that this was one of the most boring reads ever. Silly dialog and coupled with just a lot of words. Sorry Ernest but more Gabriel Allon in my future.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I started (and ended) my Hemingway experience with The Old Man And The Sea. Boring and grossly over-written.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Huh. I like Hemingway, a lot.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
"a lot of words" and "over-written" are the complete opposite of what most think of Hemingway.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There you go - Hemingway is crap. Dismissed as a writer in less than thirty words.

You don't have to like Hemingway, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Overwritten? I could not possibly disagree more. Hemingway was a master of trimming the fat from his stories. Some of his stories, it is clear that parts have been edited out of the original manuscript, as you will see below.

Here is the beginning of A Moveable Feast. In the very first sentence, it is clear that Hemingway has trimmed his story. He actually opens in mid-thought.

To wit:

Then there was the bad weather. It would come in one day when the fall
was over. We would have to shut the windows in the night against the
rain and the cold wind would strip the leaves from the trees in the Place
Contrescarpe. The leaves lay sodden in the rain and the wind drove the
rain against the big green autobus at the terminal and the Café des
Amateurs was crowded and the windows misted over from the heat and
the smoke inside. It was a sad, evilly run café where the drunkards of the
quarter crowded together and I kept away from it because of the smell of
dirty bodies and the sour smell of drunkenness. The men and women who
frequented the Amateurs stayed drunk all of the time, or all of the time
they could afford it, mostly on wine which they bought by the half-liter
or liter. Many strangely named apéritifs were advertised, but few people
could afford them except as a foundation to build their wine drunks on.
The women drunkards were called poivrottes which meant female
rummies.

Forgive me, gentlemen, but in ths case, I have to say "Pearls before swine" though it is not my intention to project porcine personalities upon your persons.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Big Two Hearted is my favorite Hemingway tale.
It takes place in the Yoop. Some controversy exists as to Papa actually fishing the Two Hearted. Some believe he actually spent his time fishing the Driggs River or the Fox River and misdirected readers to protect his fishing hole. I have fished all three. When in Key West I made it a point to visit his house and commune with his polydactyl cats.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been able to get into A Farewell to Arms but Hemingway is my favorite author. I read The Sun Also Rises every few years and various collections of his short stories from time to time.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Sun Also Rises

One of my favorite reads in high school.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
For Whom The Bell Tolls is perhaps my favorite book. You haven't read anything unless you've read Hemingway's description of the smell of revolution in a small town.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The smell of revolution and the smell of a horses hide cooking under the hot barrel El Sordo's machine gun! Awesome book with fantastic action sequences.
I suggest the OP try The Sun Also Rises, as previously recommended, The Old Man and the Sea, or any of the awesome Americana Nick Adams short stories.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
And then there is the Hemingway short story consisting of only 6 words:

For Sale. Baby Shoes. Never Worn.

His authorship can't be guaranteed, but many attribute it to him.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry Ernest but more Gabriel Allon in my future.

I was going to post about his subtle yet strong use of metaphor, and how some readers can’t quite grasp his talent for delivery, but then I read this.

I didn’t recognize the author, but I googled and found out it’s a character in some sleek assassin/spy series…..

Never mind. You’re right, Hemingway isn’t for you. Big Grin

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't remember any novels I may have read by Hemmingway. I was going to say Grapes of Wrath but thet was John Steinbeck. Good thing I googled first.

When I went on a cross country trip, we stopped by the school of Edgar Allan Poe where they have his room open on display.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

When I went on a cross country trip, we stopped by the school of Edgar Allan Poe where they have his room open on display.

Just like Steinbeck, he didn't write any Hemingway novels either.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

He started to but, in the end, frustrated, he vowed, "nevermore."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The raven flew into my window. He was black and paid me no attention. He stood for a while on a Greek bust and just perched there doing nothing. I couldn't resist the bird's firm manner and I tried to flatter him into telling me his name. "Nevermore."

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan. Hills Like White Elephants was the first Hemingway I read, way back in high school, and I was hooked from that point.

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And that's what makes horse races, as my father used to say; different opinions drawn from the same set of facts. On this one, I couldn't agree more with his admirers, who couldn't disagree more with his detractors. But no matter what, wordy and overwritten are simply not terms that could be applied to Hemingway; he was the Godfather of modern lean, tight, prose, and has had legions of admirers, followers, and imitators spanning close to a hundred years. A Farewell To Arms has never been my favorite work, but don't judge his entire oeuvre by that novel. Those who think he is boring might try, as already suggested a few times, The Sun Also Rises, set in Paris and Spain in the 1920's, or, if you're not up for a novel, perhaps the short story, The Short Happy Life Of Francis Macomber, which takes place on safari in Africa. Or any number of other stories and several other novels.

Hemingway was my first favorite writer, and remains so to this day. As with horse races, opinions will vary, but no one can deny he was a master of his craft. If you deny that, I think perhaps you don't understand the craft.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The raven flew into my window. He was black and paid me no attention. He stood for a while on a Greek bust and just perched there doing nothing. I couldn't resist the bird's firm manner and I tried to flatter him into telling me his name. "Nevermore."

Heh,heh. Pretty good, you two.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post